Intel Corp. has decided to push back the launch date for its 4GHz Pentium 4 desktop processor to the first quarter of 2005, after reviewing its launch schedules and determining it would not be able to introduce the product in sufficient volume, a company spokesman said Thursday.
President and Chief Operating Officer Paul Otellini first told financial analysts last year that Intel would raise the clock speed of the company's flagship Pentium 4 processor to 4GHz by the end of 2004. There are no manufacturing or design issues behind the delay, like the ones that have recently caused Intel to recall and delay some of its chipsets, said Bill Kircos, an Intel spokesman. "In light of the current environment, we are reviewing our product schedules top to bottom. To get to the volume we want to (with the 4GHz Pentium 4), we are telling (our customers) we're moving to a Q1 launch date," Kircos said.
News source: InfoWorld