iPad Air catches fire in Vodafone store

Emergency services attended a Vodafone store this week, after an iPad demonstration model caught fire. The store in Canberra, Australia, had to be evacuated, to protect staff and customers from the smoke caused by the blaze. 

As News.com.au reports, a Vodafone spokesperson said that "a burst of flames" erupted from the tablet's charging port, with observers also noting the appearance of sparks coming from the port. The company confirmed that there were no injuries among staff or customers.

The cause of the incident - which the Australian news site rather dramatically refers to as an iPad 'explosion' - remains unclear. In its coverage, 9to5Mac identified the device as an iPad Air, the newest addition to Apple's tablet range. 

Sales of the iPad Air have apparently got off to a strong start, and Apple will be understandably keen to ensure that reports of this incident do not undermine its sales efforts for the new device. While an Apple investigation is reportedly under way, the company has not yet commented on the fire. 

Unfortunate events such as this one pop up from time to time. Some previous incidents involving Apple devices have been caused by third-party accessories of questionable quality and provenance, but other manufacturers have seen their products destroyed by unusual fires too. Earlier this year, a Samsung Galaxy S III spontaneously combusted while charging; two months later, a fire which apparently originated in a Galaxy S4 gutted an entire apartment.

Source: News.com.au via 9to5Mac | image via News.com.au

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Xbox One will be a paperweight without day one update

Next Story

Google Music transfers tunes insecurely, exposes your files

70 Comments

View more comments

Didn't you people read the small print, these are designed in mission impossible style for delivering orders to spies.....

YouWhat said,
Didn't you people read the small print, these are designed in mission impossible style for delivering orders to spies.....

"This iPad Air will self destruct in ten seconds!!"

YouWhat said,
Didn't you people read the small print, these are designed in mission impossible style for delivering orders to spies.....

I was thinking Inspector Gadget.
This pad will self destruct.

Someone created a campfire app! Run it and put your iPad in the wood to start the fire! The only issue is you can only use it once . . .

electronics are electronics... shrug...

why would they get all excited and evacuate the building? just stay calm and put it out... no need for panic and all that.

I'm hoping this is just a faulty third-party cable. The iPad Air has been really well received, even by non-Apple users as we witnessed on Neowin even. I'd hate to see them put in danger from some small oversight.

Anyone ever been to a comedy show and the comedian tells the same joke over and over again. That's what the jokes on every Apple article sounds like. Can we get some new material? Please!

deadonthefloor said,

We've been asking Apple for the same thing for years now.
Once they do, we will.
Survey says...DING!!!!! NUMBER ONE ANSWER +10000 for you sir for the best answer to JHBROWN especially.

TechieXP said,
Survey says...DING!!!!! NUMBER ONE ANSWER +10000 for you sir for the best answer to JHBROWN especially.
Dude are you that desperate?( your especially to JHBROWN comment) Notice the date of the responses for this particular article?

JHBrown said,
Dude are you that desperate?( your especially to JHBROWN comment) Notice the date of the responses for this particular article?
DUDE!!! I have a life. I don't blog everyday. I responded to the post when I read it. So what it was 4 days later. Does that somehow make it irrelevant?

Desperate for what exactly? Even YOU said it was a good post. Dude. You dont like being addressed? Its a public blog. Dont ever post, we wont know your name.

I mentioned your name because I see from your posts you are an Apple loyalist. The other poster gave the most awesome answer to you. Like like it and If I could have given him 10,000+ likes I would have,

You want to make it thinner then heat would be its worst enemy. Time to come up with some new innovative cooling design.

That's messed up. But companies are trying to pack these devices tight and fit as much battery in there as possible with new and unproven methods. Something's bound to go wrong.

It might not have been the battery but an electronic component. If it were a faulty capacitor, it would go bang and you would get smoke - the case would stay pretty much intact. If it were the battery, it would have gone BANG! and you wouldn't have walked away with minor or no injuries, and the case would have been severely deformed. But a faulty capacitor (going short circuit) could cause a chain reaction.

It could also have been a third party charger - the stations would have custom chargers with a security system inbuilt.

Commenting is disabled on this article.