LAV Filters are a set of open-source DirectShow filters, aimed to eventually replace the better part of the playback chain required to play all and any modern media. It is based on ffmpeg and libbluray and is aimed to offer a all-around solution to perfect playback of file-based Media as well as Blu-rays. LAV Splitter is a Souce Filter/Splitter required to demux the files into their separate elementary streams. LAV Audio and Video Decoder are powerful decoders with a focus on quality and performance, without any compromises. All container formats supported by ffmpeg are supported by LAV Splitter. While the support may not be 100% perfect for *every* format, the list of supported formats is very extensive, and 99% of all content might “just work”.
- Matroska/WebM, MPEG-TS/PS, MP4/MOV, FLV, OGM/OGG, AVI, and many more.
In addition to being able to split all the formats mentioned above, following features are note-worthy:
- Full support for multiple video/audio/subtitle streams in one file (switching between streams natively supported)
- Support for Matroska embedded fonts
- “Smart” stream selection, based on preferred languages and quality
- “Forced” Subtitle handling
Update: LAVFilters 0.59.1