Macbook Pro supplies start to dwindle; refresh imminent

Recently, supplies of the current Apple Macbook Pro line-up are starting to become tight, as signs are now showing that a refresh is imminent.

9to5mac have reported that Apple are no longer taking reservations of certain models of the Macbook Pro at their retail stores, whilst the online store in Japan is showing signs that the Macbook is in short supply and have now pushed a 2-3 week shipping estimate on the product rather than 24 hours. Macrurmors have also reported that a readers' Macbook Pro that is currently being repaired by Apple is going to have to 3 to 8 weeks waiting time before it is fixed and shipped back.

Back in America, stores such as Best Buy have been spotted with listings of the new range in their inventory, showing a base model with a $1199 price tag. This is most likely the 13 inch model and will have a March 11 release date. Readers should take this with a grain of salt, as Best Buy last year listed a March 14 release date, but the new line-up was not released until a month later.

In terms of what's going to be new in the new models rumors have also suggested that it is most likely the new models will feature the new generation of Intel quad-core processors -- the Intel Sandy Bridge -- though it is not clear if the 13 inch model will stick to a dual-core processor.

Neowin recently reported Intel has had to do a recall of the "Cougar Point" chipset CPUs as a design flaw finding shows that the CPUs will degrade ports over time. If Apple were to be using the same chipset in their new line-up this would indeed push the refresh date back a few weeks.

Image source: Apple

iPad 2 production begins

Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 SP1 to land on February 22nd

Wow. Its about time. No one wants to pay this much for Core 2 Duo processors. What a joke
Bring on the 'i' line ... please

este said,
Bring on the 'i' line ... please

The 'i' line is already here... Core i5 and Core i7 processors are in MBPs right now.

f1d said,

that's not true for the 13" models…

Has anyone noticed on the website for the Macbook Pro it says

"New Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors."

But below that it says

"fastest dual-core processors available, which boost performance up to 50 percent."

o.o

SuperKid said,
Has anyone noticed on the website for the Macbook Pro it says

"New Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors."

But below that it says

o.o

Yes, from what my friend has, its got an i5. But it only has 2 cores. And HT?
I have not done any research on this, I might be totaly wrong.

SuperKid said,
Has anyone noticed on the website for the Macbook Pro it says

"New Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors."

But below that it says

o.o

The 2010 MBP refresh introduced the Core i5 and i7 processors. I have one. It's a dual core i5-520M with hyper-threading.

3 to 8 weeks for a repair? I hope he gets the newest MacBook Pro as a replacement for having to wait that long.

ZakO said,

apple has offered a full refund or a temporary base model macbook until his gets fixed

The Protagonist said,

Ah, didn't read the source article, that's okay then.

How much can you get for the current 15" mac book pro's? i've only had mine a few month. I'll probably only upgrade if they do stick a quad core in it. I can't see what else would make it worth while?

tighter resolution as standard rather than a optional upgrade?

Uplift said,

tighter resolution as standard rather than a optional upgrade?

Unlikely to have any quad-core processors fitting into the 35W envelope until 2012.

This is wrong. The design flaw isn't that the CPU will fail over time, but that the 3Gbps SATA ports would degrade over time. Intel have repeatedly said that CPUs are unaffected and that the workaround for the issue is to use the 6Gbps SATA ports until the replacement chipset is available.

Zoom7000 said,

plust it only affected some desktop chipsets last time I checked

Julius Caro said,

plust it only affected some desktop chipsets last time I checked

You're right. The mobile chipset is, so far, unaffected.

team_NOOB said,
Oh yes.. These can't come soon enough. My 2008 MBP needs to be retired.

In all honesty, I only really care about the 13.3" model because I need the portability, and seeing as it go screwed over once by getting a C2D instead of a Core i3, and Apple is pushing the 13" Air harder than ever, I doubt the 13.3" is going to get any attention, might just be dropped altogether.

blade1269 said,

Are you going to sell?

Nah will just use it for testing. I just replaced the HDD so kinda gotta get money moneys worth
Will post up if I change my mind though!