McAfee Rootkit Detective Beta is a program designed and developed by McAfee Avert Labs to proactively detect and clean rootkits that are running on the system. McAfee Rootkit Detective should only be used by knowledgeable individuals at the direction of, and with the support of, a representative from McAfee Avert Labs or McAfee Technical Support. Improper usage of this tool could result in damage to your applications or operating system.
Following are the features of this program that are designed to proactively detect and clean rootkits from the system. This program is not dependent on any signatures and can proactively detect most of the existing and upcoming rootkits and allow the user to clean them.
* Designed to proactively detect the system objects like processes, files and registry that are hidden to the user.
* Provides information about all running processes in the system.
* Provides information about various system hooks like SSDT(System Service Descriptor Table) hooks, user/kernel IAT/EAT(Import/Export Address Table) hooks.
* Allows the user to clean/remove the malicious objects from the system by renaming/deleting the hidden files/registry.
* Allows the user to terminate the malicious processes.
* Users can submit samples using the submission feature present in the tool.
* Users can also collect the samples manually after renaming them and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org for further analysis.
Supported Operating Systems
* Windows XP Home Edition with SP2, XP Professional Edition with SP2, 2000 with SP4, 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server SP1*