More info on Internet Explorer 10 Consumer Preview revealed

With today's release of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Microsoft is also offering its users a new version of Internet Explorer 10. Today, the official IE 10 blog site has a new entry that talks about the latest version of the web browser. Technically this is the fifth platform preview version of Internet Explorer 10 that Microsoft has released.

According to Internet Explorer vice president Dean Hachamovitch, IE 10 on Windows 8 has a full HTML5 engine on both the Metro and desktop version of the browser. It also can support Metro applications that run on both HTML5 and JavaScript. As Microsoft has previously announced, Internet Explorer 10 in its Metro version is designed to be used without any need for third party plug-in software.

Hachamovitch asks that web developers uses feature detection, rather than browser detection, when a user checks out their site in Internet Explorer 10. He states, "Often, the compatibility problem reports we receive have more to do with sites detecting IE and sending it different content than they send other browsers than any particular issue in IE." More information on IE 10 for developers can be read at Microsoft's official web site.

The IE Test Drive site has a number of HTML5 demos that are best experienced in Internet Explorer 10. One of them is the Beta FishIE site which may look familiar to some of our readers. Yet another HTML5 web site you can check out is a variation on Pong.

Image via Microsoft

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Windows Store First Apps contest winners revealed

Next Story

Microsoft: Windows 8 launch will boost Windows Phone sales

19 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

You can't use IE x64 on the desktop any longer. I liked the DP solution, enable it on a zone by zone basis, but now it's 32-bit IE only on the desktop (I think metro IE is x64 though). dang.

On the bright side, IE10 scored 111ms in Sun Spider, vs. ~190ms on the same system with IE9 on Win 7, and seems pretty smooth.

Z'Loth said,
I installed Win8CP on Virutalbox today. Used IE10 to install Firefox and Chrome.

They'll sing songs of your heroics for generations..

'Hachamovitch asks that web developers uses feature detection, rather than browser detection, when a user checks out their site in Internet Explorer 10.'
Yeah, great idea, make it so that sites work FINE for the 0.2% of IE users on IE 10 instead of half-ass-idly but completely break compatibility for the remaining 99.8% of IE users on IE 6 - 9.
How about no?

n_K said,
'Hachamovitch asks that web developers uses feature detection, rather than browser detection, when a user checks out their site in Internet Explorer 10.'
Yeah, great idea, make it so that sites work FINE for the 0.2% of IE users on IE 10 instead of half-ass-idly but completely break compatibility for the remaining 99.8% of IE users on IE 6 - 9.
How about no?

Are you sure you understand what you just typed?

The quote you reference, is arguing for the same thing you are arguing, but you are somehow not understanding or mis-reading the quote.

Key words to reread what you quoted... 'Feature Detection'

As in 'test for features' instead of just looking to see if it is IE.

Which is making the same argument you are. They don't want site developers 'breaking' older versions of IE when adding IE9 or IE10 features to their web site.

torrentthief said,
314 + 6 points for IE10 preview 5. Its looking rather good in html5 scores.

Ain't that from a website which tests 3rd party WebGL/M support which has nothing to do with anything? If so, why use a site biased against Microsoft ?

torrentthief said,
314 + 6 points for IE10 preview 5. Its looking rather good in html5 scores.

If a 'test' for HTML5 is using non-HTML5 items for their scoring, they are either in the tank for Firefox/Google/Webkit or just utterly ignorant.

WebGL support used as a metric is insane. As it is has nothing to do with HTML5/CSS3, is not a W3C standard, and is not even a 'standard' outside of W3C.

With WebGL, a web site can literally target known 'driver/gpu' or OpenGL flaws to gain access to information in VRAM, and even create an opening for malware. There is also the problem where GPU flaws can be targeted via WebGL to literally 'fry' a person's video card.

I know this is courting controversy, but has anyone seen/got html5test scores for the latest IE10 preview? Just interested to see how far it's coming along. (Which was pretty damn far judging by previous scores).

[Note: leave out the debate on whether it's an accurate score, please? Yes, it has caveats, and we can do that debate elsewhere]

I don't think it would be wise to release a preview of 10 for Windows 7 since we just received IE 9 last year. I think IE 10 should strictly introduced with Windows 8 as to say how exclusive this product is and an excelled one at that.

Flippinwindows said,
I don't think it would be wise to release a preview of 10 for Windows 7 since we just received IE 9 last year. I think IE 10 should strictly introduced with Windows 8 as to say how exclusive this product is and an excelled one at that.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

still no new IE10 preview builds released for Win7, they are taking the ****, developers will have hardly any time to test their sites. No-one wants to have to install a beta operating system to test a beta browser!

torrentthief said,
still no new IE10 preview builds released for Win7, they are taking the ****, developers will have hardly any time to test their sites. No-one wants to have to install a beta operating system to test a beta browser!

Actually Microsoft released IE10 Preview 5 today.

torrentthief said,
still no new IE10 preview builds released for Win7, they are taking the ****, developers will have hardly any time to test their sites. No-one wants to have to install a beta operating system to test a beta browser!

I can see that as being a hassle. The good thing is that at least it doesn't take long to install...

-=SEDIN=- said,

Actually Microsoft released IE10 Preview 5 today.

actually ie10 preview 5 is ONLY available in win 8 preview, NOT as a standalone installer for win7.

torrentthief said,

actually ie10 preview 5 is ONLY available in win 8 preview, NOT as a standalone installer for win7.


Actually Platform Previews 1 & 2 you can download on Win 7.

EDIT: Oh, you meant new ones...