Gigahertz are out and cores are in. Programmers must begin to develop applications that take full advantage of the increasing number of cores present in modern computers. However, multi-threaded development has been notoriously hard to do. Researcher Stefanus Du Toit discusses and demonstrates RapidMind, a software system he co-authored, that takes the pain out of multi-threaded programming in C++. For his demo he created a program on the PlayStation 3 representing thousands of chickens, each independently tracked by a single processing core. The talk itself is interesting but the demo is golden.
- $2500 Black Friday Game Dev Build in Hardware Hangout
- Sunset Overdrive Free for 24 hours Xbox Live Gold Members this Saturday in Microsoft Console
- SpaceX Updates (Thread 4): F9, FH & Dragon in Science Discussion & News
- Longtime AMD fan has its first complaint. in Hardware Hangout
- Apple TV alternatives in Hardware Hangout
- Trazodone altering mind into violent? in It's a Conspiracy!
- Drinking Problem in Jokes & Funny Stuff
- Outlook and Facebook Calendars in Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support