Mysterious Microsoft event set for April 12

Microsoft today sent out invitations to a secret event scheduled a week from now on April 12. Engadget has the word that the invitation reads "It's time to share" and is going to be located in San Francisco.

What's to come is so far unknown, though guesses are pointing to a new product announcement concerning Project Pink, Windows Live, Windows Phone 7, or possibly even the famed Courier device.

iPhone OS 4.0 event announced for April 8

iPad owner gets booted by Microsoft Store employee

Natal is planned a event on E3
Courier is rumored to be announced later this year
And the design of the invitation reminiscent of the leaked pink photos

After the utter disappointment of the iPad failing to live up to Apple's hype and turning out to be almost completely useless a little low-key publicity seems just fine.

There's something almost grown-up about it.

Owenw said,

And that has to do with sharing how?

Does pink have much to do with sharing either but? Even the courier doesn't seem to be especially driven towards sharing anything.

Sounds more like they want to 'share' a product announcement with us as all the likely candidates aren't all that driven towards sharing anything.

Edited by Smigit, Apr 6 2010, 3:45am :

Perhaps some IE9, Windows Phone 7 and Courier details. Project Pink? No way. Its too early. Microsoft needs to wait till Windows Phone 7 is fully released.

++iHazCool said,

Project Pink != Windows Phone 7

Owenw said,

Project Pink != Windows Phone 7

Which is the craziest move ever on Microsoft's part, why fragment their phone market even more with two different phone types? Microsoft never cease to amaze me sometimes.

Edited by SoyoS, Apr 5 2010, 11:23pm :

CarlJ said,

I doubt project pink will be called a Windows Phone. It'll be the new sidekick, so I figure it'll have it's own brand name and it's own marketing not part of the bigger WP7 bandwagon.

Everyone knows the name "sidekick" so just going with a new spin on that name makes enough sense to me.

acido00 said,
My friend at Microsoft.com is saying that is something related with XBOX 360.

It's Pink, I also have a friend at Microsoft who has never let me down so I trust him on that, also every other tech website is sayings it Pink so rest assured the main focus of the event is to talk about Pink.

My guess is Windows Live 2010 announcement. The WL 15 suite that leaked to the net seemed to be based around social networking.

djdanster said,

Yeah, I'm going on this one with you

Co_Co said,
its got 2 girls in the ad, probably pink

I love how they're pushing the stereotype that the color pink is for girls and that they all want stuff that color.

Edited by Rigby, Apr 5 2010, 8:59pm :

TRC said,

Pink is the codename, the actual device has a green UI similar to the green on the invite.

TRC said,

lmao, saying that to a guy with pink in his avatar and signature. Brilliant.

Sharing? Could they be switching to a unix-based OS or open sourcing their software? I doubt it. My bet it has something to do with SharePoint 2010. :]

crazyfish said,

Hmm... I'm still waiting for all those linux kids to "switch to a UNIX OS"...
Shared? Like in "Shared Source"?

Edited by RealFduch, Apr 5 2010, 10:39pm :

crazyfish said,

Nope, nothing to do with SharePoint

prabir said,
Visual Studio 2010 and Silverlight 4's launch date is on April 12th. http://www.devconnections.com/.../SP2010VS/default.asp?s=144
i have a doubt they will introduce someting new on 12th.

Those have nothing to do with the type of site engadget is and why they got an invite. It has to be hardware related. So it's either project pink, official courier info? Or who knows what else. But it's NOT software related.

dimithrak said,

how certain are you of that?

I think, judging by the stylings and design of the invites - he's right. It's more or less the exact same style as the all the Pink stuff that's leaked out.

Edited by ~Johnny, Apr 5 2010, 7:34pm :

dimithrak said,

how certain are you of that?

It's Pink, my sources also tell me that phones will follow a week after the event.

Edited by SoyoS, Apr 5 2010, 8:07pm :

CarlJ said,

If true, and if they show off some good stuff, then that's big news really.

The rest is pricing. But since pink is the next sidekick, being a feature phone, it should have some low pricing.

GP007 said,

If true, and if they show off some good stuff, then that's big news really.

From what I've seen and heard it will basically fragment the market in terms of WP7 and Pink. It's essentially a watered-down version of WP7 based on CE, it isn't however running the same OS as WP7 phones and is rather runnings its own custom OS so they are not directly compatible.

I'm not a fan but then I've only ever seen it never actually been allowed to try it out. It's not for the hardcore at all sadly so don't get your hopes up.

Edited by SoyoS, Apr 5 2010, 8:06pm : sp

CarlJ said,

Oh I don't much care, I'm already eyeing a new WP7 device later this year. But it's still good news for MS in general. And since this does target a specific group of users, not just general smartphone consumers, I expected it to be a very custom job.

CarlJ said,

Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows Mobile all run CE!
And please stop confusing OS with "desktop environment"/"windows manager"/"user interface"

RealFduch said,

Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows Mobile all run CE!

I never said they didn't run CE, I simply said its a watered down version of WP7 based on CE as apposed to being based on some other OS entirely.

Also it IS an OS, just because its based on another OS doesn't make it something else.