Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- Is reselling Retail software ok ? in Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support
- Restore image on new HDD in Hardware Hangout
- Bought new monitor - tower sometimes doesn't boot now in Hardware Hangout
- Interference, Maybe? in Hardware Hangout
- Need Help - Gaming PC: Should I upgrade or wait? in Hardware Hangout
- I need help enabling VT on my laptop in Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support
- Error when attempting to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win10 Insider preview in Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support
- Falcon 9 / Dragon CRS-7 ISS Resupply (mission thread) in Science Discussion & News
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.