Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- Neowin's Bias Against Bernie Sanders in Site Forum Issues
- Ebay seller ordered to pay $19,250 after suing two customers over negative feedback in Real World News
- 60,000 antelope died in 4 days, and no one knows why in Science Discussion News
- Android Apps loading slow on WiFi? New Router problem? in Internet Network Security
- The US and the 9 harbingers(judgements) end of the US? in Its A Conspiracy
- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2015 edition in Back Page News
- TechSpot: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Benchmarked in Front Page News
- Gaming PCs are using an insane amount of power, new study claims in Front Page News
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.