Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- HTC One M8 for Windows and Lumia 640 users can now get the Windows 10 Mobile preview in Front Page News
- Contest: Logo Creation for a Dental Practice in Web Design / Programming
- How much would you pay for the "Surface Mini" ? in Tablet, Media Devices & Smartphones
- Windows 10 Xbox app gets updated, prepped for game streaming in Front Page News
- Small business server - ECC Memory... really? in Server Support
- SpyShelter Personal Free 9.9.1 in Front Page News
- Windows 10 Technical Preview in Microsoft Beta (Windows 10)
- Good Sunday to all in Introduce Yourself
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.