Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- From Design to the Web.. in web design programming
- Planned Parenthood investigating claims of website hack in real world news
- Windows 10: You can't disable reporting errors back to microsoft and where's network config options for setup? in microsoft windows discussion support
- Changes with the IPB4 upgrade in site announcements
- Clean install for Windows 10? in microsoft windows discussion support
- Hillary Clinton: I'm running for president in domestic politics
- International Space Station (Updates) in science discussion news
- How to open the Window Color and Appearance dialog box on Windows 10? in microsoft windows discussion support
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.