Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- One Plus One: Windows Phone? in Windows Phone
- Special limited MGS5 PlayStation 4 announced in Sony Console
- Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for PS4 in Sony Console
- Windows 10 Technical Preview in Microsoft Beta
- ULA wants the public to name its next rocket in Science Discussion & News
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection: March 2015 in Sony Console
- Phil Harrison to leave Microsoft in Microsoft Console
- The Big Wrestling Thread! in The Sporting Arena
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.