Social news site Newsvine, which launched in March 2006, announced yesterday that it has been acquired by MSNBC.com, a fifty-fifty joint venture between Microsoft and NBC. Newsvine is notable for several exclusive scoops, including breaking the Virginia Tech Shootings 22 minutes before the AP. This will be MSNBC.com's first acquisition and the deal, which closed on October 5, was all cash, although the acquisition price has not been disclosed. Mike Davidson, the founder of Newsvine, said that the companies will continue operating separately but that technology integration will occur over time. In a company blog posting explaining the purchase, Newsvine stated that it hoped to be able to reach a much broader audience, expand its user community, and expand its staff (the company currently has six employees, compared to MSNBC's 200 plus). Newsvine reaches this liquidity event after having raised just $1.5 million in capital.
- Should Microsoft release Surface tablets with Bay Trail/Atom? in Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support
- Rolling Stone's University of Virginia gang rape fiction and the real world in Real World Issues
- Windows 10 Technical Preview in Microsoft Beta (Windows 10)
- Any countries that Tax Churches? in Real World Issues
- PS4 Firmware 2.50 in Sony Console
- Water Cooling: Is it for everyone? in Hardware Hangout
- Can't open ACSM eBook files on Windows 8.1 tablet in Software Discussion & Support
- Arrest of Marquita McCall - Graphic Video in Real World Issues
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.