North Korea Starts 3G Network Trials

The unlikely story of advanced 3G cellular service in the world's most tightly controlled and secretive country has turned another chapter with the start of network trials. Cellular carrier Orascom said on Monday that it has completed the first 3G call on a WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) trial network in North Korea, and is working towards a commercial launch there later this year. Earlier this year, a 25-year exclusive license to offer 3G cellular service in the country had been awarded to CHEO Technology, a joint venture in which Orascom holds a 75 percent stake and Korea Post and Telecommunications holds the remaining 25 percent. A full commercial service is scheduled to begin in the second half of the year, Orascom said.

View: InfoWorld

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Nokia to Increase Role of Linux in Products

Next Story

Windows 'Fiji' beta testing has begun

9 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

If you put the matter on the perspective of being able (theoretically) to monitor current/potential "harmful elements of society", that's not so surprising after all.

Haha, now they will be able to remote-control inter-oceanic ballistic missiles using full-speed 3G internets, oh yay!

1) it's much smaller than the US
2) kind of helps when you have a DICTATOR running everything. none of those annoying "laws" to get in the way

(PermaSt0ne said @ #2.1)
1) it's much smaller than the US
2) kind of helps when you have a DICTATOR running everything. none of those annoying "laws" to get in the way

3) AT&T sucks.

(PermaSt0ne said @ #2.1)
1) it's much smaller than the US
2) kind of helps when you have a DICTATOR running everything. none of those annoying "laws" to get in the way

Also, the monopoly approach helps too.

Having to cover Manhattan six times (once per network) diverts resources that could be applied to expanding coverage.