The NPD Group, the top game-industry research firm, released its list of the top 20 PC game titles this past week for the month of May. The month's most popular title was World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, overtaking both The Sims 2 Double Deluxe and World of Warcraft: Battle Chest as expected.
Wrath of the Lich King, the second expansion for Blizzard Entertainment's 12 million user strong massively multiplayer online role-playing game was just one of five games in the World of Warcraft series to claim a spot on the chart. World of Warcraft: Battle Chest claimed 3rd, World of Warcraft claimed 4th, World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade claimed 11th and Warcraft III Battle Chest claimed 18th.
The following are the top 20 PC games in the United States for the month of May. Rankings are calculated from the NPD Group's survey of retailers and does not include online sales or digitally distributed content.
1. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - Blizzard
2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe - Electronic Arts
3. World of Warcraft Battle Chest - Blizzard
4. World of Warcraft - Blizzard
5. Empire: Total War - Creative Assembly/Sega
6. Spore - Electronic Arts
7. Left 4 Dead - Valve
8. The Sims 2 Apartment Life - Electronic Arts
9. Fallout Trilogy - Interplay
10. StarCraft: Battle Chest - Blizzard
11. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - Blizzard
12. Demigod - Gas Powered Games/Stardock
13. Real Deal Slots Adventure - Phantom EFX
14. The SimCity Box - Electronic Arts
15. Fallout 3 - Bethesda Softworks
16. Diablo Battle Chest - Blizzard
17. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition - Bethesda Softworks
18. Warcraft III Battle Chest - Blizzard
19. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Relic/THQ
20. Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor - Relic/THQ