Outside source caused Ireland Galaxy S III unit to melt

A couple of weeks ago, a person in Ireland, known only by his nick "dillo2k10", claimed in a message board post that his newly bought Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone had spontaneously combusted while he was sitting in his car. Now it appears the truth is not quite as spectacular.

In a post on the official Samsung blog this weekend, the company said it contacted a third party company in the UK to investigate this report. The company tested the melted Galaxy S III and other devices. In the end, the final report was that "dill2k10's" smartphone was in fact exposed to an outside energy source and did not melt due to the inside of the phone overheating.

According to the blog post:

Additionally, the investigation results state, "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

The blog post also offers a link to a forum message by "dillo2k10", who said:

I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.

So, just in case you have a Galaxy S III, there should be less of a worry that your unit will start melting on you all of a sudden.

Source: Samsung Tomorrow blog

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Interview: We chat with RealmForge about DARK

Next Story

Pirate Bay founder: how's about a second chance?

18 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

His post does say that someone else was responsible, suggesting that he did not know the phone had a "large amount of external energy" applied to it. Whether or not this is the truth, the retraction in his forum post reads as though it was phrased by a lawyer.

So he made a forum post saying his phone had set on fire / melted. And then after investigation by Samsung they say he put it in a microwave. Which he then basically says that's exactly what he did and that he's sorry?

What a complete tool.

uhuh, "dropped phone into water" then "attempt to remove moisture/water within the phone by using a microwave". I'm surprised the "heat" wasn't considered at all, given that's what we use microwave for...

leojei said,
uhuh, "dropped phone into water" then "attempt to remove moisture/water within the phone by using a microwave". I'm surprised the "heat" wasn't considered at all, given that's what we use microwave for...
Actually microwaves just cause water molecules to vibrate back and forth. It has to do with water being a dipole molecule. Anyway, it had nothing to do with heat. It had to do with the electric current induced by subjecting a conductive material to electromagnetic waves. Think of it as an antenna since microwaves are radio waves (all part of the same EM spectrum). The energy builds up in the material until it surpasses the dielectric insulation properties of air. Once that critical level is reached, all that energy is released. The air can no longer prevent the current from flowing, the energy begins to transfer, it heats up the air to an insane degree forming an ionized plasma (electrical spark) and bam! Toasted phone.

These guys don't deserve to be handling technology if they think the best way to deal with water damage is to microwave it. Only specific microwaves can handle metal - and they specifically state it. Infrared might be better but would probably mess up the screen and melt the plastic if done improperly.

If you looked inside a galaxy you would know there is nothing there to explode. Thought this guy was up to no good

Never had a samsung battery melt on me, however they aren't very well made. the charging part on the top cracked and fell off. now and then the phone tells me I'm trying to charge a non Samsung battery. so it refuses to charge. so I bought a generic one and don't get that message as often better made too. but microwaving a phone just to get attention. hey it's called will it blend.. that is the question. don't breath this..

My experience with Samsung devices is quite different than what you suggest. I have had several Samsung phones including the Blackjack II and the Captivate (Galaxy 2) and I would have to say that I had far fewer problems from my Samsung phones than I did from LG and Motorola. I currently have an LG Thrill which freezes and crashes all the time (2nd one). Wife had a Motorola Backflip which was replaced 2x because of phantom dialing and proximity sensor issues and my brother-in-law is getting his Motorola Atrix replaced because of Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and SD slot failure. My next phone will be a Galaxy S III.

Brian Miller said,
Does dillo2k10 work at Apple, trying to bring bad press on to Google?
Umm? how would this bring bad press onto google? it's samsungs phone...

Some friends of mine actually use this technique to get a replacement phone as soon as their warranty is about to expire. It's just simple, set the microwave for 1-2 secs and put phone in it, voila instant replacement without any traces.