Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Here are the changes and fixes since the last beta build (5152):
- Added new languages: Dutch, Finnish, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal)
- Fixed many typos and clumsy translations in various languages
- Fixed the main window growing taller and flashing black after being minimized and then restored
- Fixed the tools committing their changes to the image when trying to exit the application (waste of CPU/disk)
- Fixed the current layer not being preserved when using one of the Image -> Rotate commands
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts not working in some cases if the mouse was positioned over the toolbar
- Fixed some inappropriate text wrapping in drop down boxes in German (the text is now clipped with "..." instead)
- Fixed the Recolor tool's shortcut mistakenly being 'e' instead of 'r'
- Pressing 'A' now cycles through the shapes when the Shapes tool is active (Shift+A cycles backward)
- Fixed mouse input centering for the brush tools when antialiasing was disabled
- Re-enabled Ctrl+D as a "commit" button
- Moved the "Finish" button (green checkmark) to the end of the toolbar and included the "Finish" text so that it is easier to aim at
- Fixed some font previews rendering as gray instead of black
- Fixed a crash that was most easily reproducible by copying an image from IE11 and then clicking on File->New Image
- Image close buttons are now appropriately styled on Windows 7
- Fixed a dangling progress bar after running some effects
- Fixed some drifting color value problems in the Colors window when changing Hue, Saturation, and/or Value
- Fixed a crash caused by 3rd-party visual themes that try to use fonts that don't exist
- Fixed a crash when toggling a layer's visibility while using the Move Selected Pixels tool and then undoing
- Fixed a crash when opening an image due to not being able to create the thumbnail for the File -> Open Recent list
- Fixed a crash on startup due to the user's My Documents folder not existing
- Changed the canvas background color to gray when using the Blue theme
- Fixed an error whereby committing an action, changing the active layer, undoing, and then redoing would cause the action to be redone on the new layer instead of the one it was originally drawn on
- Fixed shortcut keys not working for toggling line styles and caps for the Shapes tool
- Fixed some styling issues in the Settings dialog in the Tools section
- Fixed some delayed crashes with some effect plugins which would happen when trying to do an action afterward
- Fixed a crash caused by pressing Escape while drawing a shape
- Fixed many plugin compatibility and crash issues