Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Changes since version 4.0:
- Move Selected Pixels tool performance has been significantly optimized.
- Move Selected Pixels tool was always leaving transparent black behind instead of the secondary color with alpha removed.
- Brush tools with odd-sized brushes and no antialiasing were drawing at 1 size smaller.
- Fixed some apparent 'lag' in the brush tools due to an off-by-1 glitch in the stroke path calculation code.
- The brush tool preview circle no longer scales by the system DPI setting, which made it too big.
- Removed the momentary hourglass/wait cursor after drawing (e.g. pencil and brush tools).
- Optimized performance of the Shapes tool, especially for the Ellipse shape.
- Paint Bucket tool will now correctly treat the selection as a boundary contour.
- Zoom tool no longer crashes sometimes when pressing the right mouse button while already holding the left mouse button.
- The status bar now reports the correct selection location when it's outside the image boundaries (e.g. negative values).
- Auto-scrolling on the edge of the window now works correctly and doesn't require you to "jiggle the mouse" for each scroll update.
- Touch screens no longer scroll when swiping up/down with one finger.
- Improved the pixel grid's contrast so it's not overwhelmingly bright.
- The transparency "checkerboard" is now aligned to the top-left of the image, instead of the top-left of the canvas.
- The cursor position reported in the status bar was off-by-1 when the value was supposed to be negative.
- Some controls (e.g. units selection in the Image->Resize dialog) were not drawing focus rectangles when using the keyboard.
- Fixed a crash (OutOfMemoryException) when using a selection tool when hardware acceleration is disabled.
- Fixed a crash (TimeBeforeLastUpdateException) in the installer. This usually happens when running in a virtual machine, and only affects animations.
- Fixed a crash (BadImageFormatException) at startup. This indicates an installation error, and will be automatically repaired.
- Fixed various crashes caused by having the wrong (old) version of PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.dll. This indicates an installation error, and will be automatically repaired.
- Improved performance when hardware acceleration is disabled.
- All 7th generation Intel GPUs now default to hardware rendering. All older Intel GPUs default to software rendering.
- Fixed graphical artifacts (blackness, flickering, mouse trails) on certain GPUs (e.g. NVIDIA Optimus).
- "NVIDIA ION" graphics cards now default to software rendering due to crashes.