Pale Moon is a custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows operating systems with current, high performance processors. It looks identical to the standard Firefox browser and supports Firefox extensions, themes and identities.
- Highly optimized for modern processors
- 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
- Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
- Stability: experience fewer browser crashes.
- Support for SVG and Canvas, and downloadable fonts including WOFF
- Support for HTML5 and WebGL (v4+)
- Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons), themes and personas
- Support for OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution)
- Able to use existing Firefox bookmarks and settings with this migration tool
This update addresses performance/resource use and also tackles some security vulnerabilities.
- A change to how tab histories are cached to improve the overall memory footprint and make browsing smoother, especially when using a large number of tabs with extensive active use.
- A change to the networking pipelining back-end to use a more aggressive fallback if there are issues with pipelining requests, to minimize delays when loading pages and prevent time-outs.
- Update of the compiler to Visual Studio 2012 Update 3, to fix a few compiler issues.
- Removed the double entry for smooth scrolling selection in preferences (leaving just the one in the scrolling tab)
- (CVE-2013-1704) ASAN heap-use-after-free in nsINode::GetParentNode
- (CVE-2013-1708) Non-null crash at nsCString::CharAt
- (CVE-2013-1712) Code injection through internal updater
- (CVE-2013-1713) InstallTrigger can use the wrong principal when validating URI loads
- (CVE-2013-1714) Cross Domain Policy override using webworkers
- Fix for Updater crash
- Fix for XSS vulnerability/URI spoofing
- Fix for newly allocated WebGL array buffers (prevent the use of uninitialized memory)
- Several fixes for the SSL crypto library (CVE-2013-1705 and others)
- Fix for do_QueryFrame support
- x64: Fix for Yarr error
- Update to the installer's 7zsfx module to prevent dll hijacking
Important note for updating the portable version: it's recommended you make a fresh install of the portable and copy over your user profile to the new install with this update. Do not use the internal updater. Remember to check your user.ini if you have created one or changed .ini entries, and re-implement your changes in the 20.3 palemoon-portable.ini (don't just copy it over!)
- Fix for safebrowsing
- Enabled the XUL cache to improve startup times