Playstation 3 users got a brief update on the restoration status of the Playstation Network late today. The official Playstation blog site posted a new statement from Patrick Seybold, the senior director for Sony Playstation's corporate communications and social media, saying that the the company was in the "final stages of internal testing of the new system" for the online console service.
On Sunday, Sony said it was planning to restore at least some of the Playstation Network's services later this week following the decision to shut down the servers on April 20 following a cyber attack. Today's statement by Seybold said, "As previously mentioned, we’ve been working around the clock to rebuild the network and enhance protections of your personal data. It’s our top priority to ensure your data is safe when you begin using the services again." The statement did not indicate a specific date for the restoration of service.
The online MMO servers for Sony Online Entertainment, shut down on Monday as a result of the cyber attack, are also still offline and an update on Wednesday still gave no word on when the servers will be back online. Meanwhile Sony's CEO Howard Stringer has finally made a statement about the cyber attacks. Industry Gamers posted a letter from Stringer who said, "I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony."