Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.
Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine.
The engine supporting the game is entirely original in code & design, and its code is Open Source (ZLIB license, read the docs for more on how you can use the engine).
In addition to the FPS game which is in a very playable state, the engine is being used for an RPG which is in the preproduction phase. Additionally, Proper Games ltd are the first to use the engine commercially. dot3 labs is a company started by the creators of sauerbraten that offers commercial support.
- new playermodel, IronSnout X10K
- new weapon models
- new sound track
- new splash screen and logo
- 28 new multiplayer maps!
- 1 new singleplayer map
- new "protect" and "insta protect" game modes
- bots that work for both MP and offline play
- ragdoll physics
- texture blending and new flame/smoke particles for map editing
- in-game movie recording and also PNG screenshots
- new engines features like ZIP archive support, better grass, pre-compressed DXT1/3/5 textures for faster loading, fixed-function shadowmaps & dynamic lights, low cost blob shadows, particle culling, faster shader loading, revised post-process effect system, and more
- support for custom server ports, server passwords, public key crypto, and server-init.cfg for easier server configs
View: Sauerbraten website
Download: Sauerbraten Trooper edition
Screenshots: >> Click here <<