Skype is the next phenomenon from the people who brought you KaZaA. Just like KaZaA, this uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you to other users - not to share files this time, but to talk for free with your friends. The technology is extremely advanced - but super simple to use. You'll be making perfect quality free phone calls to your friends in no time.
Additionally it doesn't just work on Windows. Skype is also for Mac OS X, Linux and PDAs using Pocket PC, with a native look and feel for each platform. Talking, sending instant messages or even file transfers work between different platforms like a charm.
- Skype calling - Skype has all the features of an ordinary phone so it's even easier to manage your calls.
- Video calling - see who you are talking to at the same time as speaking to them.
- Add Skype and SkypeOut contacts - Add contacts who use Skype and those who use ordinary phones so you can call more people.
- Organising groups - group contacts under certain names and share them with your contacts so they can talk to them too.
- Basic chat and emoticons - when it's not convenient to call, chat or Instant Message (IM) your contacts.
- Group chat - for when it's easier to chat or Instant Message (IM) all your friends at once.
- Profile settings - change how you appear to the world and let people know a bit about you.
- Conference calling - talk to more than one friend at a time.
- Import contacts - search your address book to find friends and family that already have a Skype name and start calling them for free.
- View Outlook contacts - view and call your Microsoft OutlookÂ® contacts quickly and directly from your Skype contact list.
- Quickfilter and Speed-Dial - find Skype contacts, recent chats and SkypeOut contacts quickly and easily, then enter their Skype name to call them back quickly.