Sony to unveil its own phablet?

Time for a joke! What do you get if you cross a phone with a tablet? A phablet! Okay, it’s not funny, but when it comes to mobile devices, when is big too big? In the case of phones, when it can’t fit in your pocket.

An image posted on Digi-wo has shown that Sony may be able to release their own slab of a phone. The image shows what would be the front of the device, all 6.44 inches of it. Apart from the image showing the screen size, the only other bit of information available is that the screen is FullHD, 1080p capable.

If true, this phone would eclipse the latest Sony Xperia Z, with its 5-inch screen. And with Mobile World Congress coming up February 25-28, it looks like it could be the perfect time for Sony to reveal its foray into the phablet world.

Looks like bigger is better. Time to go and look for bigger pocketed trousers!

Source: Digi-wo via BGR | Image via Digi-wo

The Elder Scrolls Online starts taking beta signups; new trailer released

Microsoft rumored to be part of Dell buyout, may chip in 1-3 billion dollars

srprimeaux said,
Stop trying to make "phablet" happen. It's not going to happen.
It's already happened. 25M++ people own a 5" or larger smartphone. That number is expected to more than double http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/...n-2013-60m-incoming-up-136/

In just a sort time it is expected that over 200M people will own a phone that is 5" or larger..IN THEIR POCKETS.

It is obvious the iPhone too will grow in size for lots of reasons. As feature sets grow, so will device size. 4" devices were avail since 2009 and Apple finally join 5 years later. Going by their timetable that means in 5 years Apple will have a device the size of the Galaxy S 3. And all of these people claiming 5" phones are too big will be right in Apple's corner saying how innovative they are for finally catching up.

I mean look how they all are treating the iPad Mini. Now Samsung is makign an 8" Note. The iFans are claiming Samsung is copying, yet when APple first released the iPad, Samsung countered with the 7" Galaxy Tab and Appl;e claimed OEM woudl abandon the 7" tablet and favor the 10" and drop smaller ones. Turned out he was wrong and it is them who rushed to make the smaller tablet.

This phone is too big? For those who claim it is, give some valid reason why. Remember, its a valid reason for you. We dont have to agree with how you see it. But I respect your opinion.

I dont care how much better a resolution is, if the phone is so small i cant read it unless I wear glasses. The iPhone forces me to squint my eyes even with contacts on. Its too small for me. After getting the Note 2, even the GS3 feels so small. But its much more readable vs any iPhone. 5" doesnt make it a tablet because its to small...so if its to big to be a phone what should they call it? Phablet seems to be perfect. Samsung likes it and they are making a boatload of money and the GS3 outsold both the 4S and 5 combined for 2 months...the GS4 is going to be 4.99" in size...and again the iPhone 5S will pale in comparison. Stick with Apple and stay small, or join the BIG revolution. Apple is getting smoked.

A phablet has got to be the worst idea I've ever seen. A phone that acts like a tablet, c'mon now. It sounds like they ran out of ideas and tried to be two & two together.. It just doesn't work. A phone should fit in your pocket.

False...its not a phone that cats like a tablet. Its a phone with shares some of the benefits of a tablet. Much like a Crossover SUV share many of the benefits of a real SUV.

Let me help you a bit. Crossover SUV or CUV vs SUV. Crossovers are actually cars vs SUV's which are trucks. EVen tho insurance companies call CUV's trucks...they arent. They are cars, They get rated as turcks do to the cubit feet of cargo space avail when seats are lowered and it curb weight. But unlike SUV, they are horrible at offroad usage.

A Phablet is just a smartphone with a bigger screen. It shares tablet benefit lie bigger screen and use of a stylus and apps designed for such. But it is mostly still a smartphone. Its to big to be a tablet, but shares its benefits.

Again it much be doing well because 25M have been sold since introduction and it is expected that number will be 3 times that in 2013.

Just admit, Apple was wrong. We do want hummer-like phones and they dont have to be made by Apple.

TechieXP said
Well that's pretty much what I'm talking about. It "shares" the benefits of a tablet in a phone. The problem is that it's too big to be a phone.

TechieXP said
A Phablet is just a smartphone with a bigger screen.
Tell me something I don't know /s

TechieXP said
Or I could just buy a stylus from the store and use that on a smartphone. Why do I need a "phablet" for that.

TechieXP said
If people have an interest for un-innovative products like "phablets" then that's there choice. I can't see any logical reason why someone would want something that's too big then what it should be while lacking any original ideas or things that make it appealing.

TechieXP said
What does this have to do with Apple..? I actually do use Apple products and I have great respects for companies that make great products and if a company makes phablets then I lose apart of my respect for them because they're making crap products.

Tell me something I don't know /s

saying its to big to be a phone is just an opinion. Opinions are not right or wrong, its how YOU see it. You dont speak for everyone. 25M+ people seem to no issue with phones above 5" in size.

Yes you could just buy a stylus for your device, but those retail styli are junk and dont offer specific features designed to work with your phone. The GN2 stylus doesnt even work on other phones at all...not even the GS3. It is specific to the device it comes with...which is great because I dont have to shop for one.

Uninnovative products like Phab;ets? Again like I said, uyou've obvious dont own one or ever used one and standing and touching it in a store isnt using it. No innovation? Hmmm. Lets compare the Note 2 with the iPhone 5. Screens are innovative per se....however..AMOLED screens are more visible in sunlight, that does require some innovation. Smart-Stay...uses the camera to see u looking at the screen so it doesnt turn it off which is annoying and i dont have to constantly change the sleep settimgs. Direct call, where I can pick up the phone when I an texting an have it dial the person instead. That's pretty innovative. Touch device to share a file is pretty innovative even if it is only an evolution of an existing technology.

Name something so innovative about the iPhone 5? Name some about the something innovative about the Lumias? Or HTC devices or Motorola? Oh thats right...not much.

Please just for a moment, stop just thinking about what you like, or what you need and it will help you understand why 25M+ people own such a device. See they arent thinking like you are, if they did they wouldnt own one. You cant even provide a reasonable argument for your point. Your whole point is its too big to be called a phone. Well you know, that is what Apple said about 4" devices too and the list goes on. They were wrong, what makes you thing you're right? Again 25M+ have bought such a device and that number is expected to go to 60M this year alone.

Its not to big. Stop buying expensive clothes with shallow pockets.
Samsung plans to release a 6.3" Note this year. For ME and ME only, I think that is too big. I wont fit in normal pockets and it wont fit my hands that well...so yes it will be to big for ME. But whoever buys it wont think its to big. When I girst saw the original Note I THOUGHT it was to big until I actually USED one. Now I own one...I was wrong and I can admit to it. What about you?

TechieXP said
I can see that, but if people are willing to buy something that is too big to be a phone, that's their choice. I know I would make the right decision and get a phone that's the right size.

TechieXP said
Not every stylus is crappy in the way you've described.

TechieXP said
Actually it does count for using it. And it doesn't take an Einstein genius to figure out that a phone that's too big to fit in a normal sized pocket means it's too big.

TechieXP said
Okay, so those innovations seem to be mostly software related.

TechieXP said
You see, your problem is that you keep bringing this to an Apple argument. I'm an Apple user but that doesn't mean I agree with every damn product they release.

Its not to big.
Wrong.

TechieXP said
Stop buying expensive clothes with shallow pockets.
You obviously don't know the things I buy and I've seen pictures and people in real life who've tried to fit "phablets" into their pockets and they've had a helluva time trying to do this. I shouldn't have to change my clothing because a device is too big. A device should "fit" into your lifestyle, not you having to change yours to work for the device.

These latest Sony products have been amazing. The thin tablets, really powerful phones. Why mus they ruin their range with this? 5.5" is probably the largest I could use "comfortably"...

If you throw enough crap around, some of it will eventually stick. But you'd think they would of found the sweet spot in terms of size by now. "Phabet". Jeez.

Fish said,
Yes you are right. Apple has been selling crappy phones for years running.Hanst stopped anyone from buying them...has it. Phablet as a name kinda sucks. But its not like "iPhone" is a better name. "I" is a very selfish word and Jobs was a selfish person. Thus all the other iProducts like iMac, iTunes, and iPod. iPod was actually good because A- Apple didnt originate the name B- It actually fits the device. But again...anyone can make crap stick. Whats so bad about Phablet? Can you think of something better?

25M of these have sold so far with Samsung having the lions share. No one buys because of its name, like iPhone buyers. They buy for distinction and purpose. Something iPhone users really dont understand.

nickcruz said
oh shssshhh... They will patent it and all their followers will say they invented it.
Not every Apple user thinks they invented everything.. Some people just believe everything they hear.

BajiRav said,
I guess sony thinks that people will notice them if they made it bigger?

No, no. I'm talking about the phrase "phablet".

Dot Matrix said
Ugh. "Phablet"? Is that still a thing?
I really have no interest in a phone that big.. If a phone can't fit in my pocket, then we've got a problem.

If a 5" device cant fit in your pocket, then you are wearing some cheap jeans. I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and it fits in all my pants...even my jeans.

Obviously youve never even picked up a 5" device. So since you have no idea, you really shouldnt speak of things you dont know anything about. You obviously dont even know how big 5" really is. Its less than 1/2 a foot. Most pants pockets are at least 4" in length.

TechieXP said
You wouldn't want a device that 'just' fits in your pocket. Nor would you want to replace your jeans because the pockets are supposedly too small. So why would you want a 5" phone. There's absolutely no point in this.

TechieXP said
Obviously youve never even picked up a 5" device.
Obviously you don't know me so making that comment is completely useless..

TechieXP said
Well I actually know exactly what I'm talking about. I know damn-well that a phone should be able to fit into your pockets.

TechieXP said
You obviously dont even know how big 5" really is.
Do you ever say anything worth reading..

Obviously you don't know me so making that comment is completely useless..

Do you ever say anything worth reading..

I didnt have to change any of my jeans to make it fit because A - I dont buy those expensive $100 a pair jeans that only has room in the pockets for dust and change and 2 keys...because they are so tight you need oil on your legs to slip them on. NO! I buy Levi's and Lee jeans that have normal size pockets where my 5.5" device fits perfectly and they only cost $40 or so a pair.

Oh and you're right I don't know you. But in YOUR own mind you think your opinion is somehow better?

The device fits in my pocket...u said you dont want a device that just fits in your pocket? Then what kind of device do you want? One that doesnt fit in yoru pocket? Wait I'm confused bec you were just scolding Sony for making a device you think doesnt fit in yoru pockets. WHich is why I question what type f pants are you buying because my GN2 fits perfectly in my pocket and it barely sticks out. Only in the back pockets is the phone obvious. But it does fit...it just doesnt cover the phone. It covers 95% of it just fine. Just enough for it not to slip out when I sit down. And loose enough that it wont crack.
Obviously I know how to shop.

Yes a phone should fit in your pockets. I pretty much wear Khaki pants which have normal sized pockets. I personally hate jeans of any brand/cost, but I do wear them onn occasion as still my phone fits fine. But pants arent the only clothing that have pockets. Using pocket size for an exvuse to diss a phone is stupid.

Yet you ask me do I ever have anything to say worth reading? I didnt ask you to read or comment. I gave an opinion. Dissing a phone size you dont like is really crazy IMO. If you dont like 5" or larger devices, then why comment on such an article.

25M+ people have bought them and obviously love them. The haters are always the problem. They dont liek somethign so they waste time telling the wprld how much they hate it and try to find the most lame and ridiculous excuse to support their opinion. The phone isn't to big for 90% of the pockets I have seen. Including, jackets, coats, pants, jeans, shirts and more. Stop buying very expensive jeans where the pockets are so small that keys can be seen from 500ft away.

Edited by Hi_XPecTa_Chens, Jan 23 2013, 6:08pm :