Square Enix admits to Deus Ex web site hacks

Publisher Square Enix has officially admitted that the web site for the upcoming action-RPG Deus Ex Human Revolution, along with other web sites it operates, was the subject of a cyber attack earlier this week. However the official statement claims that that attack was not quite as bad as the initial reports have stated.

Square Enix has admitted that some resumes on a web server were exposed as a result of the cyber attack that occurred on Wednesday. The web site KrebsOnSecurity.com claimed on Thursday that 9,000 resumes were taken during the hack attempt. However the official word from Square Enix is that the number is much lower, "up to 350 of these resumes." The statement said, ".... we are in the process of writing to each of the individuals who may have been affected to offer our sincere apologies for this situation."

KrebsonSecurity.com also reported on Thursday that personal info from 80,000 people were also taken due to the cyber attack. Once again, Square Enix's official statement differs from that report. It states that ".... we have also discovered that up to 25,000 email addresses were obtained as a result of this breach. These email addresses are not linked to any additional personal information. They were site registration email addresses provided to us for users to receive product information updates."

Even though their server security methods apparently didn't work in this case, Square Enix still said, "We take the security of our websites extremely seriously and employ strict measures, which we test regularly, to guard against this sort of incident."

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Leaked Diablo III video shows new Followers feature

Next Story

Friday's PC game deals get us ready for the weekend

21 Comments - Add comment