Total Commander is a file manager for Windows, a program like Windows Explorer to copy, move or delete files. However, Total Commander can do much more than Explorer, e.g. pack and unpack files, access ftp servers, compare files by content, etc!
Here are some features of Total Commander:
* Both 32 bit and 16 bit versions available!
* Long filenames in Windows 95/98 and Windows NT (16 and 32-bit version)!
* Direct access to Network Neighbourhood
* Supports Drag & Drop with Explorer/the Desktop etc.
* Command line for starting of programs with parameters, simply by typing the program name or by pressing CTRL+ENTER or CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
* Configurable button bar and Start menu (User-defined commands) to place your frequently used DOS or Windows programs into a drop-down menu. The actual directory and/or the file under the cursor can be delivered to the application.
* Configurable main menu.
* Built in file viewer (Lister) to view files of ANY SIZE in hex, binary or text format, using either the ASCII- (DOS) or the ANSI- (Windows) character set. The line width and font size can now be changed. You can even view files inside archives! New: Support for Unicode UTF-8 format.
* Bitmap viewer in Lister, additional formats through Irfanview
* HTML- and Unicode-Viewer in Lister and more....
There are many new features in Total Commander 7.0. The most important are:
* Updated user interface: flat buttons also on XP, new file list icons, drive icons, and bar icons (by external designer), icons in the main menu (optional)
* Separate background color can be set for odd and even lines
* Compare by content now allows to edit files, and to re-synchronize manually
* Separate tree panel: Either one for both file panels, or one for each
* Lister now supports a text cursor, allows to center images, and resize only larger
* Change attributes allows to use/change content plugin values
* File operation logging
* Show drive letter in folder tabs
* File system plugins can now support custom columns and thumbnails
* Multi-rename-tool: Allow to edit target names
* More options in copy overwrite dialog: Compare by content, Rename target, automatic rename, copy all smaller or all larger
* Exclude directories in "Show"-"Custom...", e.g. with *.* | .cvs
* Increased maximum command line length
* Sort by additional columns, e.g. by size, then by date/time: Ctrl+click on additional columns
* Auto-complete path in command line, current directory, copy dialog etc.
* Use Shift+Del to remove unwanted entries from various comboboxes: Command line, search function, multi-rename-tool etc.
* Secure FTP over SSL/TLS. Needs OpenSSL dlls from www.openssl.org.
* Custom user-defined commands for main menu and hotkeys
* Alias commands for the command line for internal commands or external programs
* Overwrite dialog allows to show preview images and custom fields
* When a copy/move/delete/create directory operation fails due to insufficient rights, ask user whether he wants to copy as administrator. Also allow a user to read from an inaccessible directory if he knows the administrator password.
* Search on FTP servers