VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- VMM: more work on improving the emulation of certain MSR registers on certain host CPUs (e.g. bugs #12734, #12736, #12744, #12748, #12686, #12770)
- VMM: fixed single-stepping for real-mode guests (VT-x without unrestricted guest execution) and some I/O instructions (bug Fixed in SVN (new)">#12636)
- VMM: fixed a potential problem with COW pages if nested paging is not available
- GUI: Mac OS X: experimental native full screen support for Mountain Lion and Mavericks (bug #12292)
- GUI: Mac OS X: removed the mini-toolbar minimize button which doesn't work under Mac OS X full screen mode anyway
- GUI: experimental HID LEDs synchronization for Windows and Mac OS X hosts: fixed keyboard re-synchronization if the feature is disabled (as done by default; bug Fixed ... (closed: fixed)">#12758)
- GUI: fixed a potential crash when opening the preferences menu (bug #12862)
- OVF: fixed a crash of the VirtualBox Manager when re-starting guest export (bug #12586)
- 3D support: several fixes
- HGCM: fixed a problem with saved states which could cause several guest misbehavior after a VM was started from a saved state
- Storage: fixed a bug preventing to compact differential snapshots under certain conditions
- VBoxSVC: fixed a segmentation fault on Linux hosts if a very long path exists under /dev (bug fixed in series 4.3 and later ... (closed: fixed)">#12760)
- API: fixed guest misbehavior under certain conditions if a storage medium was attached or removed at VM runtime
- Windows installer: make the --silent parameter work again (bug Fixed in SVN (closed: fixed)">#12764)
- Mac OS X Networking: prevent local traffic (VM-to/from-host) from leaking to wire (bug Fixed in SVN (closed: fixed)">#12750)
- Windows Additions: fixed the environment for guest processes (4.3.8 regression; bug #12782)
- Windows Additions/WDDM: fixed divide by zero exception with multiple guest screens under certain conditions
- Linux Additions: install correctly on Ubuntu guest systems with a /usr/lib64 directory (bug fixed as of ... (closed: fixed)">#12513)
- X11 Additions: fix for the VBoxClient process not exiting correctly (bug fixed in 4.3 and ... (closed: fixed)">#12348) and consuming too much processor time