VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
VirtualDub key features:
- Capture video with real-time downsizing, noise reduction, and field swapping features.
- Capturing include fractional frame rates
- Integrated volume meter and histogram for input level monitoring
- Noise reduction, field swapping
- Integrated MPEG-1 and Motion-JPEG decoders
- Remove and replace audio tracks without touching the video
- Apply bilinear and bicubic resampling without blocky resizes or rotates
- Decompress and recompress both audio and video
- Remove segments of a video clip and save the rest, without recompressing and much, much more.