Web Messenger integral to Windows Live Wave 4

Windows Live Wave 4 will include a Facebook chat style interface for Windows Live Messenger access across its web services, new screenshots leaked at LiveSide.net show.

We first saw back in January that the header for the next generation of web-based Windows Live services would include Web Messenger integration, allowing you to easily set your status and see how many of your contacts are online. Clicking on the link in the header and will load a menu from where you can choose a category and see the status of your contacts.

Enter a term in the search box and it will do an as-you-type-search of your contacts' first names, surnames and email addresses. As with the Wave 3 version of Web Messenger (which is currently only available through Hotmail and People) clicking on your name in the top-right corner brings up a menu where you can change your status. Now, however, you can also send messages whilst appearing offline and receive message that were sent to you when you were not signed in.

Clicking on a contact opens a chat window. Unlike the Wave 3 version, conversations are no longer in pop-up windows and instead appear in the bottom-right corner of the screen attached to a tabbed conversations bar, in a style slightly reminiscent of Facebook chat but more modelled around the tabbed conversations style in the upcoming Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 client. Conversations can also be minimised to show just this bar with the first three shown on the bar and any others from a drop-down menu. In addition, the bar and conversation boxes can be dragged around the window to the position you want them in.

Emoticons can easily be added from the drop-down menu in the chat box and you can even take part in conversations with multiple contacts - although this has to be initiated by a contact using the desktop client. It is also worth noting that there will be a setting to turn the Web Messenger feature off completely for those that don't want to use it. Finally, because this service will be available across a range of Windows Live web-based activities, the new Windows Live ID sign-in page gives you the option to choose your status when you sign-in.

Image credits: LiveSide.net and LiveSino.net

Internet Explorer losing market share from EU browser ballot

Windows Live Wave 4 roadmap leaked

Samuel Koker said,
Use Digsby. You can choose what Social Networks you want to integrate - and if you're anti-social then you can only install MSN or the like. http://bit.ly/1zIbzc

I stopped using Digsby for MSN when I found out it can't do group chats. Fail =|

Edited by OrangeFTW, Mar 22 2010, 7:24pm :

What I would love to see is an option not to install all the social garbage that comes along with everything these days.

sweetsam said,

sweetsam said,

nothing to install on a webpage...if you don't want to sign in then don't, theres an option for that

i think this will be welcome for library users or public computer users

Edited by Co_Co, Mar 22 2010, 3:14pm :

sweetsam said,

How about you stop being anti-social?

sweetsam said,

How about letting me decide what I want ?

How about letting Microsoft decide what they want to include in their software?

sweetsam said,

How about letting me decide what I want ?

msft doesn't make software for YOU. MOST people have friends so, that means social networking should be included. When you leave your parents basement, you'll understand.

CarlJ said,

How about letting Microsoft decide what they want to include in their software?

I never said they shouldn't include it. I just said make it optional. Is that so hard ?

Edited by sweetsam, Mar 22 2010, 3:18pm :

Brent1700 said,

Wow people are sensitive. I just said make it optional. I am not asking to decide what others should do. I live in my parents basement because I chose not to install social stuff ? Thats just incredibly smart call.

Edited by sweetsam, Mar 22 2010, 4:38pm :

sweetsam said,

Your request makes so sense though, why should they remove/make optional social features in a chat application made specially to socialize?

Perhaps we should wait until we have a beta of the new messenger client in our hands before passing judgement on the workings of its features?

Just a thought.

sweetsam said,

How about letting me decide what I want ?

How about sharing your thoughts about Wave 4, social features on personal blog? Stop QQing and trolling.

Edited by insanelyapple, Mar 22 2010, 4:57pm :

Brent1700 said,

Hum when people leave their parent sbasement they generally stop using social ****. 30 yo people with kids for the most part don't have time for that. I'm one of them.

LaP said,
This thread didn't have enough angry stereotyping. Thank you for supplying us with some more.

Edited by Kirkburn, Mar 22 2010, 4:42pm :

sweetsam said,

How about letting me decide what I want ?

those functions can be disabled anyway to give you a more normal old fashioned messenger and they will only take a few mb of harddrive space so that shouldn't be an issues either

LaP said,
30 yo people with kids for the most part don't have time for that.

Actually quite the opposite is the case. More and more people beyond 30 start using social networking-sites, I predict soon they will be in the majority. The reason: It saves time and let's them keep in contact with others more easily.

LaP said,

yea ok, I know plenty of people 30+ who use social networking things more than I do. But I guess when you live in Middle of Nowhere, Iowa you don't really have a life...

Edited by Brent1700, Mar 22 2010, 5:45pm :

sweetsam said,

I agree, I don't use WL anymore because I was getting fed up of all the crap they try to force onto you; it may seem like a minor complaint having to uncheck boxes but Windows Live used to be the typ eof thing i'd install on a fresh computer for people if they used it - 75% of the time it would take ages and fail to install (for no reason, on Windows OSs) but it'd always manage to put a Windows Live shortcut in my start menu every time.

I don't really see much difference between this and spyware - spyware is commonly just irritating, pointless crap. Toolbars, links to websites in your start menu, replacing my browser's start-pages... That is all irritating and the average user won't understand so will just click next, then wonder why overtime their computers become so slow and full of junk.