Windows Firewall Notifier extends the default Windows embedded firewall behavior, allowing to handle outgoing connections, and displaying (almost) real-time information about the current connections. WFN requires Windows Vista or later (Windows 7, Windows 8).
Behavior - This application only uses existing Windows features, enabling some of them when first launched:
- Enables the Windows embedded firewall
- Sets the firewall to block both inbound and outbound connections for which no rule exists
- Enables the default Windows firewall inbound connection notification
- Enables the Windows firewall outbound connections logging (disabled by default)
- Creates a scheduled task linked to the Windows firewall event log entries, allowing Windows Firewall Notifier to be launched when needed only
What's new in this version:
- To "celebrate" the release of WFN 1.8.0, the software is now Open Source!
- modified the task creation for the current user so that it works properly on Windows 8.
- modified the task creation for accentuated user accounts names.
- fixed rules name/description resolution.
- minor improvements.
- added a simple update button in the WFN console (only shown when an update is available).
- fixed the logical application path resolution (could lead to improper rules creation in some specific cases).