The Windows Home Server Team has announced the availability of Power Pack 2 update for Windows Home Server. The English version of Power Pack 2 will be available on March 24 and will automatically install as part of Windows Update if Automatic Updates is enabled on the Home Server. Power Pack for Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish will be available before the end of April. Power Pack 2 will also include support for Italian language.
Power Pack 2 includes enhancements for remote access configuration and computers running Windows Media Center, along with content streaming support for Windows Media Center Extenders.
Remote Access Improvements
- A revamped Remote Access Settings page for easy use
- A Web-hosted diagnostic service to more accurately test if remote connectivity is available from outside the home network
- A new and improved initial configuration and repair wizards
- A better troubleshooting guidance for common home networking issues that can prevent Remote Access from working properly
Media Sharing and Windows Media Center PC Improvements
- Users can install a Windows Media Center Connector to connect Windows Media Center to their home server and access the shared folder contents on the home server. Music, Photos, Videos, and Recorded TV folders are enabled by default
- Windows Media Center Extenders can access and stream multimedia content stored on the home server and access permission can be granted on per folder basis
- Windows Home Server now supports streaming MP4 files to Xbox 360 and other devices that support the MP4 format. Metadata such as title, artist, composer, album, and genre now appears in the music or video library
Microsoft has also made available Windows Home Server to its MSDN subscribers along with this release. MSDN subscribers will be able to download Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 starting from today!
You can refer the Windows Home Server Power Pack 2 Release Notes for additional information