WinPatrol alerts you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. As a multipurpose support utility, WinPatrol replaces multiple system utilities with its enhanced functionality.
WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. WinPatrol takes snapshots of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that occur without your knowledge.
You'll be removing dangerous new programs while others prepare to update their definition/signature data files.
What's new in this version:
While malware infections range from ransomware to programs that control centrifuges, the biggest complaint lately has been software that installs toolbars and takes over home and search pages. A large number of companies are now including unwanted software with their regular updates. The payments received for tricking users into installing ad driven search pages provide huge incentives. If you find software that seems to require updates every week I would say 1) the company is counting on you not seeing a checkbox that give permission to download unwanted programs or 2) the programmers are so bad they can't fix bugs or security vulnerabilities.
This update provides enhancements and fixes to version 28 especially related to changes made to a Start page, Search Page, Background screen commonly used by ransomware and other common attack vectors. Text is more more useful and there are more Help buttons so alert messages can be reduced..
- Our timing and text describing page changes has improved and now a Help button.
- Support for displaying a new Service type (Trigger Start) that is now supported by Windows 8.1.
- Fix bug when Removing programs from registry when they are disabled.
- Fixed error restoring Shortcut or .lnk files that were removed but available in history file
- Options & Reports menu text fixed
- Restart no lonnger required to enter Name and Code if they have been cleared by Reset and Repair screen