WSJ states the obvious, Windows Phone 7 announcements next week

The Wall Street Journal is running a story "confirming" that Microsoft will announce the next generation of Windows Mobile next week, named Windows Phone 7.

Despite the fact there has been a buzz in the blogging world and from writers and analysts that follow Microsoft closely, The Wall Street Journal sources "people familiar with the matter" to confirm its "news".

On Wednesday Microsoft confirmed that CEO Steve Ballmer will be hosting a press conference on Monday at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. As Neowin wrote on Wednesday, Neowin sources have confirmed that Ballmer will unveil Windows Mobile 7 (named Windows Phone 7) which will include a Zune HD like interface codenamed "Metro", Xbox and Bing intergration (including navigation), Zune music software and improved games support.

Microsoft are expected to demo several features of the new smartphone operating system but devices will not be available immediately and will ship later in the year.

Neowin will be attending Mobile World Congress 2010 and live blogging the event with Long Zheng from istartedsomething.com. The conference will also be available as a live webcast from http://www.microsoft.com/news/windowsphone

Microsoft: Malware may cause BSOD patch issue

EU will grant approval for Microsoft-Yahoo search deal

Scott Gu did mention that Silverlight is coming to Nokia phones any time soon in lidnug live meeting. not sure if its in next week announcements. http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/02/10/lidnug-online-chat-with-me-on-thursday-feb-11th.aspx

prabir said,

I imagine on the Maemo platform because on Symbian I doubt it.....

p5bdeluxe said,

I imagine on the Maemo platform because on Symbian I doubt it.....

Maemo probably, but I don't know, why not symbian as well? It's going to get dumped online and be open now, MS can, if they wanted, make silverlight work on that as well.

Serenity76 said,
And the world lets out a collective yawn. Yet another 'Me too!' product to sit on shelves. Yay.
One, we know almost nothing certain about it. Two, what .. like Android? iPhone OS? Symbian? Maemo? Yeah, how terrible to have choice.

Edited by Kirkburn, Feb 13 2010, 12:57am :

Serenity76 said,

windows mobile was here long before any other mobile OS. Iphone OS was not even in its diapers back then, most probably you were in your diapers though.

zagor said,

Yeah, I remember. I owned a few of them, probably when you were first discovering other uses for the palm of your hand. Har har. Then iPhone OS came along and destroyed the competition. Winmobile was accepted back then, because the only real alternative at the time was Palm. Times have changed, and Microsoft did little to innovate to change along with them.

I'm guessing this release won't change much. As I said, another has-been 'me too!' device awaiting the Microsoft restructuring chopping block. That is, unless they find some new innovation come along for them to copy.

Edited by Serenity76, Feb 13 2010, 3:24am :

Kirkburn said,

This is Microsoft we're talking about. I expect more. They fail to deliver. It's sad.

Serenity76 said,

How come you're not dismissing the iPhone as "me too!" or whatever else childish drivel you can spout for including features in other operating systems? I guess double standards will be double standards.

ilaugh said,

Just leave him to worship his god Steve Jobs.

Serenity76 said,
So, what was the iPhone's innocation, exactly? It's a great OS, it's easy enough to say that, but "innovation" shouldn't be thrown around so lightly.

Edited by Kirkburn, Feb 13 2010, 12:01pm :

ilaugh said,

It ceased being a 'me too' device when it completely obliterated all the competition. Something a Microsoft device has yet to -ever- do. Keep your faith in the WinMo7 turtle hockeypuck though...I'm sure 12-year olds everywhere (and on this site) will be thrilled with it. Honestly, they should just put the things on shelves with tear-away pricetags, since those things will be on clearance within months of release.

Edited by Serenity76, Feb 13 2010, 7:23pm :

day2die said,

Just leave him to worship his god Steve Jobs.

Yes, I worship Steve Jobs because I think Microsoft puts out ****ty half-assed hardware that will sit on shelves for months, instead of being the innovative company they used to be. Good logic. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Edited by Serenity76, Feb 13 2010, 7:31pm :

Serenity76 said,

Again, these are double standards. The iPhone was a crippled device when it first arrived. Since then after a few revisions, it's been given 3G, applications, sms, video recording etc. I take it you base your "obliterated" comment on the current iPhone, which is indeed an okay device, but let's not kid ourselves: that's flimsy reasoning. It took years for the iPhone to become what it is today. These features were all available on competing devices prior, yet again, for whatever, seemingly fallacious, reason you don't go out your way to dismiss the iPhone as a "me too!" device. You just have to realize that companies aren't stupid enough to fore-go including features for the sake "innovation" or "originality". I see no purpose in your "faith" comment other than agitation, as I never expressed any sheer interest in this upcoming device. When it's all said and done, only one person is acting immature here.

Edited by ilaugh, Feb 14 2010, 2:12am :

ilaugh said,

Is it wrong of me to expect more of Microsoft than the same stale garbage? Honestly, is it -wrong- of me? The iphone was indeed a crippled device at launch, yet has perpetually raised the bar...and Microsoft seem oblivious to that. How have they countered in that time? As has been stated, they used to be the market leader and innovator in this area. I expect more from them, and so should everyone else. I'm tired of seeing their half-assed releases and watching them play catch-up.

Edited by Serenity76, Feb 14 2010, 1:10pm :

We have not seen any real screenshots or leaks to this date. So, either this is going to be something really big or something "magical"!

zagor said,

+1 ! They better not, I hope it will be a whole lot like Zune Software's UI with Zegoe UI font. I know it will be similar to Zune HD's UI, but personally I like the UI in Zune Software better.

thealexweb said,
Microsoft please don't screw this up!

They have a lot of momentum to ride. Both the Windows 7 and the Zune HD launches went very well. Arguably the announcement of the "Microsoft" Slates went better for MS than they have for Apple.

WinMo 7 has to well polished.

Hopefully none of the negative rumors are true (no-multitasking/marketplace apps only)!

Edited by Shadrack, Feb 13 2010, 1:38am :