Not surprisingly, the number one ad that was viewed globally was the Volkswagen commercial that was originally made for the Super Bowl in 2011. It features a six year old dressed as Darth Vader who tries to use "the Force" on everything he sees until he thinks he succeeds flicking the lights on his dad's VW.
Another Super Bow TV ad, the Chrysler "Imported from Detroit" commercial, came in as the number three most viewed ad on YouTube in 2011. However, most of the top 10 video ads on YouTube were never shown on television, which shows that the Internet in general, and YouTube in particular, is becoming more and more popular for companies to use for launching ad campaigns.
The top 10 ads viewed on YouTube in 2011 are as follows:
1. VW - The Force
2. T-Mobile - Royal Wedding
3. Chrysler - Imported From Detroit
4. DC Shoes - Ken Block's Gymkhana Four: The Hollywood Megamercial
5. smartwater - Jennifer Aniston goes viral
6. Team Hot Wheels - The Yellow Driver's World Record Jump
7. Old Spice - Scent Vacation
8. Apple - Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S
9. Samsung - Unleash Your Fingers
10. adidas - D Rose: adiZero Rose 2 The Bull