Zone Alarm

is it my config or is anyone else having problems with zonealarm and xp 2505. it seems like when i try to access my ftp zonealarm dumps my system... any ideas?

Could the following information have something to do with your problem? A conflict in some way? Perfects firewall is on by default now whereas in prev versions it was not?

"WinXP introduces a number of novelties in such a way to allow the user to be less dependent on third-party software for his or her daily work: it is fitted with an image viewer which allows the files to be converted to other extensions (goodbye ACDSEE), remote access (goodbye PCAnywhere),.zip file support (goodbye WinZip), firewall (goodbye ZoneAlarm), CD-R and CD-RW recording with no need for additional software (goodbye Easy CD Creator), and the new NTFS 5.1 partition, on the next versions, which will allow for a partition resizing (goodbye Partition Magic) ..."

I agree I wouldn't dump any of my software that I know works just cos Microsoft decides they want to add its feature into an OS :)

That WinZip replacement was in WinME if I remember correctly. I didn't like it in there either :p

ZoneAlarm works in XP according to other forums that have the information.

Quote from AngelDeath

Here is an Update to my findings...getting the latest release of ZAP 2.6.214 will work! I have tested it, and it has been fixed to work with XP.

I can verify its working, I shutdown all my firewalls, and only has ZAP running, and low and behold its doing its job...but here's another tip with ZAP.

Some people who sign onto FTP's might need to shut down ZAP, due to the fact that it seems to conflict with transfers, and hangs on "Socket Connected, Waiting for Welcome Message".

This is especially true with CuteFTP. And it seems the newest TPF might also cause you this problem...Beware.

It is available from the following link, (Warning this is NOT WAREZ, just a place where ZoneAlarm seem to keep the latest versions, the PRO version needs a key anyway!)

ftp.telusplanet.net/pub/simtelnet/dr/zonelabs/

thanks for the replyz . for now i dumped xp and went back to 2000. im sure i'll be reinstalling xp (again and again, etc.) and all the answers and tips here will be very helpful, few little tidbits i didn't know about all the builtin features on xp, guess the best thing to do is some more reading on xp the put it back up......thanks again...