Router for use with Xfinity Arris Gateway

I need to bridge my Arris TG8626-CT Gateway and am looking for suggestions for a wireless router. I have all Wireless N devices and a Gig LAN of 3 PCs.

Thanks for any suggestions

Why would you need a special router? You can either call Comcast and have them disable dhcp/WiFi on the dory/arris or disable dhcp on whatever router you purchase.

If you do the latter make sure you assign the personal router a 10.0.0.x address so its on the same network and when you link the two do not use the lan port.

This essentially turns your router into a nice wireless access point.

Meant wan port sorry.. You would connect xfinity lan to personal lan excluding the wan port- unless like the airport it supports bridging out of the box

^ Exactly if your happy with how your device functions as a gateway, just turn off its wireless and get new wireless. Or just add another wireless router/ap to your current setup.

My internet connection is only 25Mbps - so this is just barely above what G can do, I had no reason to move from my currently rock solid wrt54g running dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt/whatever playing with currently, etc.

Then I came across a TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1 simultaneous dual band for $42 to my door - couldn't pass it up. So grabbed it, but I did not turn off my wrt54g.. You do understand running G and N on the same AP/wireless Router is a Performance HIT! Period! There is no way around it - there is going to be a HIT, be it small, be it you don't notice it. It is there - there is just too many tech changes in the protocol.. If you allow for G your not going to see full speed of N.

Also since G can not talk at N speeds, just plain common sense tells you that on a shared medium like wireless - where only 1 device can actually talk at 1 time, if G is talking - you have to wait the time G takes vs the time N takes, etc. so there is going to be a hit there.

And since I could not go full N since my son's laptop is still only N, and you never know what guests might show up, etc. So I just added my N router to the network, not replace. So I currently run 3 different ssids, I have a ssid-g, a ssid-n and a ssid-5ghz so you clearly know what type of network your connecting too, etc.

If your looking to get into the N wireless, I have these suggestions. Make sure it support both 2.4 and 5, simultaneous and that is supports 3rd party firmware. Other than that - find something that meets your budget.

I was going to see if just the tplink firmware could be used - but it took me all of about 5 minutes that was a pathetic joke.. BigBangZoom dd-wrt on it 3 minutes later ;) And its just been rock solid.

edit: Side note are you using voice or something, why do you have a gateway vs a modem? Do you rent it from them? You can save a lot of money just buying your own vs paying them their crazy rental fees.

This is a wireless modem/VOIP device. So far performance has sucked since they replaced my old Motorola Modem which I had a Cisco E2000 router on. They are constantly logging into the thing, into areas I cannot even get to, To try to "fix" things. PC speeds are ok at best  but put one wireless device on and Ethernet throughput tanks. Even my wired Blu-Ray player stutters when playing normal def videos. Speeds across the LAN are fine but I have no control over any throttling or device settings as I did with my Cisco router and the DD-WRT firmware. I do not pay a rental fee but I am in a contract with my plan and all they will do is bridge the gateway they will not swap it out.

Also when I Google anything to do with this gateway everyone who has one suggests bridging it and just adding a router. That's why I came here to ask.

Cheers,

My question was are you using the VOIP stuff, if your willing for the to bridge it. Then I find it unlikely your using voip.

If you want to put in bridge mode, sure that RT-N65U gets good reviews and put 3rd party on it and sure its nice and stable.

You can always pick up a G router for pennies to use as your G AP..

My question was are you using the VOIP stuff, if your willing for the to bridge it. Then I find it unlikely your using voip.

If you want to put in bridge mode, sure that RT-N65U gets good reviews and put 3rd party on it and sure its nice and stable.

You can always pick up a G router for pennies to use as your G AP..

OK, maybe I am confused about that you mean by VOIP. My phone service runs off of this gateway through the cable.

Well then I don't believe you can "bridge" it.. You have to use this as the gateway for your phones, so you would have to double nat if you want to add another router. Which is kind of pointless to be honest, so if your wanting to use something else for wireless you would just add it as accesspoint.

There are dozens of posts on the Xfinity forums, Broadband reports etc.. and that is what I was referring to. They all suggest calling Comcast and having the unit put into full bridge mode then using a router. So what are all these post talking about then? I used to have 3 boxes, my Cable Modem, my digital phone box and my router and everything worked great. They put this thing in as a single box alternative.

Well you get what you ask for ;)

If you turn into just a modem by enable bridge mode, so that your router gets the public IP, how exactly are you phones going to work.. That gateway will no longer have the public IP, your router will. So your phones would have to be behind your router.

You can contact comcast about it, but unless your getting more than 1 public IP. Or your not really bridging and just using some dmz mode where your behind a double nat.. I don't see how your phones work if you turn their gateway device that handles your voip phones into just modem by bridging it.

And how were they doing VOIP then if the box was not an endpoint? If his voice works and it can put this public IP on his router, then sure go for it.

His device is a gateway, not just a modem with eMTA.. I would have to look up the specs of that device - but maybe things have changed and he can be bridged and still use his phone over his cable line? So now its just a modem with eMTA?

Not sure about that device - which is why I suggest he contact his isp with that question. And I believe his has the model number wrong, I have to think its a TG862G-CT, small print maybe and he saw the G as a 6?

I don't understand why they don't swap out these devices with just modem/eMTA -- if they want it bridge modem they clearly are not using nat or wireless features of this device.

They could do a hosted voip solution. Then he would just need the voip phones. ;) but that probably isn't what is happening here.

What I would do, being that is a gateway/nat/firewall box, I would leave it be and put in another wireless and/or switch to add more range and/or ports, no need to screw with the box imo.

If your xfinty setup is like mine the modem acutually connects to the in house copper so the VIOP part is just internal to the modem.

My new Technicolor box from Xfinity contains the modem, router, wireless, and the telephone interface to the copper.

If yours is the same all you have to do is contact them to turnoff the router function.

If you don't it will still work but you will be double natting and get a small performance hit..

• 1 month later...

^ Exactly if your happy with how your device functions as a gateway, just turn off its wireless and get new wireless. Or just add another wireless router/ap to your current setup.

My internet connection is only 25Mbps - so this is just barely above what G can do, I had no reason to move from my currently rock solid wrt54g running dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt/whatever playing with currently, etc.

Then I came across a TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1 simultaneous dual band for $42 to my door - couldn't pass it up. So grabbed it, but I did not turn off my wrt54g.. You do understand running G and N on the same AP/wireless Router is a Performance HIT! Period! There is no way around it - there is going to be a HIT, be it small, be it you don't notice it. It is there - there is just too many tech changes in the protocol.. If you allow for G your not going to see full speed of N.

Also since G can not talk at N speeds, just plain common sense tells you that on a shared medium like wireless - where only 1 device can actually talk at 1 time, if G is talking - you have to wait the time G takes vs the time N takes, etc. so there is going to be a hit there.

And since I could not go full N since my son's laptop is still only N, and you never know what guests might show up, etc. So I just added my N router to the network, not replace. So I currently run 3 different ssids, I have a ssid-g, a ssid-n and a ssid-5ghz so you clearly know what type of network your connecting too, etc.

If your looking to get into the N wireless, I have these suggestions. Make sure it support both 2.4 and 5, simultaneous and that is supports 3rd party firmware. Other than that - find something that meets your budget.

I was going to see if just the tplink firmware could be used - but it took me all of about 5 minutes that was a pathetic joke.. BigBangZoom dd-wrt on it 3 minutes later ;) And its just been rock solid.

edit: Side note are you using voice or something, why do you have a gateway vs a modem? Do you rent it from them? You can save a lot of money just buying your own vs paying them their crazy rental fees.

I went dual-band N for device segregation/IPv6 reasons, and this is with a WBM-760A from ARRIS.

The two smart TVs (both from Samsung) are on the 5 GHz N band by their lonesome, leaving the 2.4 GHz N band for all other wireless usage.  (The two desktops have wired connections to the router, which replaced the Netgear WNR-3500v1.)

Even better, unlike the WNR3500, the 3700v4 covers the entire house and lot, on all bands (the two smart TVs are on different floors - one in the basement, and one on the second floor; the router itself is next to the modem in the basement).

Third-party firmware is supported (except for OpenWRT, which is a work in progress) - however, the factory firmware does support IPv6/DHCPv6 - it simply needs to be enabled (it's disabled by default).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the very late reply. This "Gateway" has the standard RG-6 coax cable going in, a 4 port 1G Ethernet switch, Wireless G and 2 VoIP ports which connect via a standard RJ-11 cable to the copper house wiring. Anyway I am going to leave well enough alone. Things seem stable and well within specs of my tier.

Cheers,

• 4 years later...
  • Jason S. locked this topic