Supergirl (TV Series)

5FCfMfM.jpg

There was a very interesting Easter Egg in Man of Steel which pointed to Supergirl becoming part of the DC Cinematic Universe, but does Kara Zor-El's future actually lie on the small screen? If Bleeding Cool are to be believed, then yes, as DC Comics are said to be actively pitching Supergirl as a TV series. Producer Michael Green is said to be attached both in that role and as a writer, and his credits include Gotham, Heroes, Smallville and the Green Lantern movie. Interestingly, he also worked on the Supergirl comic book during the early days of "The New 52" reboot. We'll have to wait and see for now, but The CW would certainly make a good home for the character if it means she meets up with The Arrow and The Flash!

Source

Supergirl would be hard to do as a movie, at least stand alone at this point but I think they could've used her in a MoS sequel.  As far as TV goes, I think it's possible, specially on the CW along with the rest.

Supergirl would be hard to do as a movie, at least stand alone at this point but I think they could've used her in a MoS sequel.  As far as TV goes, I think it's possible, specially on the CW along with the rest.

Agreed, I kinda hoped that she'd be in the cinematic-universe because the hints were pretty neat!

Agreed, I kinda hoped that she'd be in the cinematic-universe because the hints were pretty neat!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of as well, all the hints in the ship.  It's still possible, heck maybe work her into the JL, probably for a 2nd JL movie though because you'd have to bring her into the universe through a MoS sequel.  Heck, why not borrow from the animated movie they did, forget the name, where they're fighting brainiac?  Would make for a good MoS movie IMO.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of as well, all the hints in the ship.  It's still possible, heck maybe work her into the JL, probably for a 2nd JL movie though because you'd have to bring her into the universe through a MoS sequel.  Heck, why not borrow from the animated movie they did, forget the name, where they're fighting brainiac?  Would make for a good MoS movie IMO.

Yeah, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (which is an adaptation of the comic-book! :D). That story would be quite awesome for a live-action version.

Deadline have now weighed in, and they have a few more details about Warner Bros. and DC Comics' Supergirl TV series. Apparently, Michael Green has no involvement, and it is instead being developed by Greg Berlanti (The Flash) and Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family). It's set to be a, "new interpretation of the the Supergirl character and her story," with Adler writing. Geoff Johns is also expected to be involved, but it's not yet clear in what capacity that will be. They add: "The Supergirl show doesn?t have a name yet. I hear the producers are considering several options that need to be cleared, including Super and Girl." The Hollywood Reporter clarifies this by stating that, "the project will not be called Supergirl."

Source

Well, following in the footsteps of the other shows I'm not surprised if it's called something else.   Regardless I'd much rather see her in a MoS movie, not that having the TV shows stops WB from doing that, they have final say and little the tv producers can do about it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those unfamiliar with the New 52 Supergirl, this 2011 USA Today article tells about her personality and starting point.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2011-09-19/Supergirl-gets-a-teenage-makeover-with-new-comic-series/50467308/1?fullsite=true

OTOH, the Man of Steel continuity has her being an explorer on the ship found in the Canadian arctic. The MoS film tease was when Clark found a dead Kryptonian in a hibernation pod there was an open pod in the background. The rest was covered in the MoS prequel comics.

• 1 month later...

The DC TV shows are all pretty terrible so I wouldn't expect much from this.  Smallville, Arrow and Flash all seem to be aimed at a 90210 audience with weak plots and the look and feel is just bad.  Gotham is the exception but the other shows have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I keep expecting it to fail too.

This cosplayer...

sORtf5z.gif

Awwww, cute Enji! I met her when I cosplayed Superman! She's a sweetheart! I reckon Alisa Kiss could do it too....

• Like 1

The DC TV shows are all pretty terrible so I wouldn't expect much from this.  Smallville, Arrow and Flash all seem to be aimed at a 90210 audience with weak plots and the look and feel is just bad.  Gotham is the exception but the other shows have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I keep expecting it to fail too.

You just have to look at what TV station the shows are on, Arrow and Flash are both on the CW, Gotham is a Fox show, each one caters to different viewers.    Regardless, they do well, Smallville stuck around for what? 10 seasons?     It's seems WB is doing well with the TV shows, now I just hope they can do well with their movie universe, MoS was a good first step.

Casting is now underway for the Supergirl pilot, and per TV Line, there are two lead roles that they?re looking for first: Kara Zor-El, aka Kara Danvers, and Alexandra ?Alex? Danvers. For the role of Kara, aka Supergirl, producers are looking at Caucasian females ages 22 to 26 to play 24. Here?s how they describe the character:

As the series? mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way.

As for Alex, Kara?s ?gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded? foster sister, here?s that character breakdown:

Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.