Do you say hello to all your neighbors even though some may not say hello back?

I'm a shy guy and only say hello to neighbors who I know are going to answer back. Some neighbors have their moods where some days, they want to say hello and some days, they don't want to bother. So, with those people, I wait to make eye contact and from there I can sense whether it would be appropriate to say hello to them at that moment. But my parents tell me to always say hello no matter what because it shows that I'm friendly and open. They said if people want to be rude and not answer back, that's their problem and at least, I did the polite thing. But it just feels so awkward and embarrassing when I say hello and people don't answer back. So, that is why I hold back with certain people sometimes.

So, are my parents right? Should I start developing a more friendly personality by saying hello to my neighbors, even to those who might not say hello back? What do you guys do? Do you open up and say hello to all your neighbors without caring about getting a response?

*Shrug* My neighbors are a decent bunch and are pretty friendly, but even if they were a-holes I'd still be polite. Sometimes pays off and they come around, sometimes not.. I personally don't care what anyone thinks either way.. doesn't cost anything to try though and being rude can potentially bite you on the butt down the road.

• Like 2

The way the neighborhood is set up here, I only have access/vision to the one's immediately to my east and west and I do say hello to them when I see them. Otherwise, privacy fences all around the back of house so can't see that way. No houses on the other side of street from me.

Pretty shy guy also and could really care less that I can't see and don't have neigbors to close, even if I am living on the outskirts of the village here!

i live in a condo with lots of people.   people i have talked to before i always say hello, and usually have a brief chat.

others, i will greet with a nod, if the look me in the eyes.

if they are not looking at me, i am not going to say hello, what is the point.   

though if there is a lady i like, i am going to at least say hey... see if she wants to chat and maybe later get to know me ;)

PS.  i recommend you say hello to everyone though!    will be good for you.   if should not upset you at the slightest if they don't say anything back.    deal with it by practicing!

I try to interact with most of the people on my street. I'm pretty much known as "the guy who always polishes his car", so I'm out in front of my house quite a lot. I don't really converse often though since most of my estate is elderly people or families.

I do know there are a few people who don't say hi to me when I say hi. I don't usually say anything to them though since I figure that I am making them uncomfortable, so I don't want to make things any worse. If they do choose to greet me though I'll always greet back.

For the people who I do say hi to though, I will always try to say hi regardless of whether or not they look happy. In some cases, a simple "hi there neighbour" will make their day a little better, and if they choose to ignore me that day, then I won't take offence.

Always say hello. If they don't say hello back then they are jerks, if you don't then you are a jerk. Don't be a jerk!

That's basically how I was raised... you are to ALWAYS be nice to others. Strangers are only strangers till you get to know them and one of them could one day be saving your life.

• Like 3

I do exactly the same thing... I've been living in my new area for 2 years, i'm quite shy myself but good judge of character and say hello to all my neighbours because they are nice people, except one.. this guy opposite me thinks he is 'the man', i've heard him say Hi to my girlfriend and then outright ignore me as if i wasn't there, he's a dick and i've made one or two attempts to get some eye contact and say hello, but he just looks straight through me so i always hold back, his girlfriend is polite and talks but i get nothing off him, he's a big lad, drives a fast sports car and i just get the impression he just thinks he's some top dog and doesn't need to say hi. He's moved out now anyway so don't have the problem anymore.

Always say hello. If they don't say hello back then they are jerks, if you don't then you are a jerk. Don't be a jerk!

That's basically how I was raised... you are to ALWAYS be nice to others. Strangers are only strangers till you get to know them and one of them could one day be saving your life.

Nice post

Nice post

haha, I could say thats typical German... xD

• Like 1

I used to, but now they're using Windows 8...

All the more reason to say hello, they might convert you... ;)

I may wave or smile at them but normally, keep to myself.  If they say hi, I will say it back or if I know them I would say something.  I find that half the time if I say hi, the other doesnt say it back.

Depends, if you are on bad terms with your neighbor then there's really no need to put the effort in, but in most cases you'd probably be neutral with them so saying "hi" or waving would not be such a bad idea.

Yeah, of course i do. If they don;t answer back it's not my problem and i'll continue to acknowledge them when i see them.

Not every one is good with other people, some people are rude, some people are shy, some people are nervous, either way, say hello, it might be brightening someones day.

• Like 1