Meet the browser: Vivaldi Next

In 1994, two programmers started working on a web browser. Our idea was to make a really fast browser, capable of running on limited hardware, keeping in mind that users are individuals with their own requirements and wishes. Opera was born. Our little piece of software gained traction, our group grew and a community was created. We stayed close to our users and to our roots. We kept improving our software, based on our users feedback, as well as our own ideas on how to make a great browser. We innovated and we strove for excellence.

Fast forward to 2015, the browser we once loved has changed its direction. Sadly, it is no longer serving its community of users and contributors who helped build the browser in the first place.

SO WE CAME TO A NATURAL CONCLUSION:

We must make a new browser. A browser for ourselves and a browser for our friends. A browser that is fast, but also a browser that is rich in functionality, highly flexible and puts the user first. A browser that is made for you.

Vivaldi Website

Edited by Daniel F.
dead link

I've been using Vivaldi for the past week on my SP3, and for some reason it doesn't feel modern. Maybe, its because it is almost an exact replica of Opera.

I've been using Vivaldi for the past week on my SP3, and for some reason it doesn't feel modern. Maybe, its because it is almost an exact replica of Opera.

It's really A PREVIEW right now.

Browser Feeling modern is different person to person.

Seems to have the Basic features[plus more might come until beta stage or RC state].

Has a good layout but is a bit slow right now when it comes to Responsiveness.

It's really A PREVIEW right now.

Browser Feeling modern is different person to person.

Seems to have the Basic features[plus more might come until beta stage or RC state].

Has a good layout but is a bit slow right now when it comes to Responsiveness.

Yes, I know its a preview, but if their starting point is Opera in terms of UI design, well I don't know how much they will change. I will be keeping the preview installed until the final version.

Yes, I know its a preview, but if their starting point is Opera in terms of UI design, well I don't know how much they will change. I will be keeping the preview installed until the final version.

See its OPERA version 2.0 with Blink instead of PRESTO & features of OPERA Classic[1-12]

Snapshot 1.0.98.2

Changelog:

• VB-3277 Add link to plugins page. Both menu's & quick command
  • VB-3252 Regression: Delete bookmark broken 
  • VB-3208 Rename rpm&deb packages, stable->preview & unstable->snapshot
  • VB-3162 Delete bookmark item in context menu not working on BM/Panel
  • VB-3153 extension selftests failing after fix for VB-2632
  • VB-3078 Issue Report: Tab preview thumbnails stretched
  • VB-2929 Show/hide address bar
  • VB-2884 Option to place address bar on bottom
  • VB-2767 Cookies not shared between tabs in all cases
  • VB-2644 Keyboard : Flash : Manic Miner does not work
  • VB-2641 Downloads panel toggles state with each new transfer
  • VB-2439 Thumbnails fail when adding speed dials
  • VB-2370 missing category for search engines
  • VB-2178 Regression : Thumbnails missing at startup
  • VB-2174 Cannot reload 2nd thumbnail
  • VB-2090 Downloads panel should show filename (Windows)
  • VB-2033 Clicking on area above + button (New tab) minimise the Window 
  • VB-1678 Missing default bookmark thumbnail
  • VB-1677 Unable to delete bookmark using keyboard
  • VB-1455 Broken web pages lack thumbnail and favicon
  • VB-1231 1 Display open tabs in the Window submenu
  • VB-3167 Black tab color looks bad on some sites
  • VB-3147 Fix our UA string
  • VB-3125 Issue Report: Using backspace in text inputs initiates "back" in certain websites.
  • VB-3096 Removed Panel resize handle in collapsed state
  • VB-3094 Tweaking accepted color contrast so that e.g. Twitter.com gets blue bg
  • VB-3035 Not possible to close window after changing search selector in searchfield
  • VB-2923 Multiselect Bookmarks does not work on Mac
  • VB-2900 Issue Report: In the search options, Wolfram Alpha has a typo.
  • VB-2825 Add developer tool to tools menu
  • VB-2744 add a resize handler to search field and adjust width to the translated text automatically
  • VB-2608 Allow to hide search field on tool/url bar
  • VB-2493 The Vivaldi menu appears on wrong monitor with a dual-monitor setup
  • VB-2298 Settings window - position
  • VB-2225 It should not be possible to open more than one settings window

we don't need another browser.  this and opera should just die.

To everyone its his/her own opinion.

IMO vivaldi shows promise and can innovate & opera is also good foe casual users with More Focus on UX.

I'm worried about extensions. If they are going to introduce own hub with barely updated content then browser it's not going to be popular. Of course there's Chrome's but it's not that open for other browsers based on webkit/blink from what I remember, right?

I'm worried about extensions. If they are going to introduce own hub with barely updated content then browser it's not going to be popular. Of course there's Chrome's but it's not that open for other browsers based on webkit/blink from what I remember, right?

It'll probably use chrome compatible extensions like opera, so you can install a chrome store extension like on opera to install extensions from the chrome store.

It already supports extensions actually, just not properly and completely. It imported LastPass from Chrome for me. While there isn't a button anywhere, it is autofilling my passwords.

You can see the extensions at: about://extensions

I've been using the Tech Preview releases, and I'll probably stick to that. It's good to see their dedication though. The thing I see needing a fix the most is the startup times.

I've been using the Tech Preview releases, and I'll probably stick to that. It's good to see their dedication though. The thing I see needing a fix the most is the startup times.

Yes but they are showing it's gonna be in great soon.

Fixings bugs quickly and using user req to add features.