Android X86 Can't install Grub or grub 2 bootloader just get a blinking line.

I've never had any problems installing the grub bootloader on my x86 tablet, as well as my stream 7 tablet (android wouldn't work properly but the grub bootloader would always install). Then out of the blue on both tablets, when it prompts you to install Grub, I select yes and all I get is a blinking line at the very bottom of the screen.

I've tried erasing the MBR, removing the partitions and formating. Nothing has worked. I hope someone has a solution for me. I can run the Android Version i'm trying to install just fine off the USB drive i'm also using to install.

21151701161_487d8ca644_c.jpg

I think it could be a bug with the installer, the same happens for me on Hyper-V with the android-x86-4.4-r3.iso

Ahh, the 4.4 R2 images. Yeah, I had trouble with those too. Some would boot fine, then fail for no reason with a botched bootloader. Others would corrupt GRUB during install, no output or anything. Keep trying.

Ahh, the 4.4 R2 images. Yeah, I had trouble with those too. Some would boot fine, then fail for no reason with a botched bootloader. Others would corrupt GRUB during install, no output or anything. Keep trying.

never had any issues with 4.4 R2 ... trying 4.4 R3 now.

• 1 month later...

I grabbed the 5.1 RC1 (release candidate for Lollipop-x86, and a near-clone of the existing Lollipop-Atom AOSP) today - there are several changes both from earlier builds of Lollipop-x86 and KK-x86.

OpenGL ES  - explicit support via new radeon and nouveau drivers (both ported from Linux).

Inclusion of Google Play Services (both via installation and via the live image).

Explicit support of non-Hyper-V virtualization (qemu, VIrtualBox, and vmWare) as a guest.

I have installed it as a guest in the current Oracle Virtual Box.

• 1 month later...

You see, as it is the first release candidate for android 5.1, the installer somehow lacked the part to partition the drive (as shown in the picture):

install5

Hence the drive is empty! (especially if you created a new virtual machine) without a valid partition table and usable partitions (drives). Therefore, grub does not recognize the drive and thus *hangs* at the grub install screen. If you press skip and copy the system files, when you move the vhd/vdi to another appliance it WILL show you an invalid drive (or corrupt drive) .

**I found a fix to it:

1) Use the older version and install till the grub install part and shutdown it,

OR gparted to first partition and create the partition table(msdos for gparted)

2) Then attach THAT vhd/vdi (whatever) virtual drive to the android x86 5.1 rc1 appliance

3) TA-DA! Then startup the virtual machine and you can install it without getting stuck at grub installation

(Hope this helped you guys! If you have any clarifications just reply :)

• 4 weeks later...

The  fix is that you should manually create partitions: create a small (100m) first primary partition for grub, and a 2nd extended partition for the rest, and install android on the 2nd, the grub will go automatically to the 1st...

On 12/15/2015 at 3:51 PM, zluspai said:

The  fix is that you should manually create partitions: create a small (100m) first primary partition for grub, and a 2nd extended partition for the rest, and install android on the 2nd, the grub will go automatically to the 1st...

Thank You :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Really wish Google themselves would officially work on getting Android on PC. I distrust and dislike where the Android-x86 Project is headed. :no:(N) 

• 3 months later...

The best way to install Android-x86 on any PC is to create a partition and format it to ext3 or ext4 partition. Now this is not possible if you use any windows software to format partition into ext4. The best way is using Gparted. You can download Gparted ISO from it's official site and then write the iso into a USB drive. Now boot from USb drive and then format the newly created partition to ext4. I have found a post related to this on Android-x86 6.0 Marshmallow installation using Gparted

Once the partition is formatted to ext4, you can write Android-x86 ISO to USB drive and then follow the installation. The installation on ext4 is differtent so follow the guide to understand how to do it. This way you can get rid of error 17 and also you get the entire partitioned disk space and use it to store files while using Android OS on PC. Below are the screenshots of installtion using GParted!!

Good luck!! :)

Gnome-Partition-editor-FILEminimizer.png

Formatting-HDD-partition-to-Ext4-FILEminInstall-Android-5.0-Lollipop-on-Windows-Install-Android-5.0-on-PC.mp4-VLC-media-

1 hour ago, Banjaraa said:

The best way to install Android-x86 on any PC is to create a partition and format it to ext3 or ext4 partition. Now this is not possible if you use any windows software to format partition into ext4. The best way is using Gparted. You can download Gparted ISO from it's official site and then write the iso into a USB drive. Now boot from USb drive and then format the newly created partition to ext4. I have found a post related to this on Android-x86 6.0 Marshmallow installation using Gparted

Once the partition is formatted to ext4, you can write Android-x86 ISO to USB drive and then follow the installation. The installation on ext4 is differtent so follow the guide to understand how to do it. This way you can get rid of error 17 and also you get the entire partitioned disk space and use it to store files while using Android OS on PC. Below are the screenshots of installtion using GParted!!

Good luck!! :)

Gnome-Partition-editor-FILEminimizer.png

Formatting-HDD-partition-to-Ext4-FILEminInstall-Android-5.0-Lollipop-on-Windows-Install-Android-5.0-on-PC.mp4-VLC-media-

I had the same issue at the weekend, though I was using it on a Windows PC. I was using VMWare Player for the VM, which produced the exact same issue you are encountering. I simply used VirtualBox for the VM instead, and that worked.

• 5 months later...

I have been trying  and trying to install Android X86 6.0 as well as CM-x86 13.0 (both in 64 bit versions) . It just won't. I am using Hyper-V on Windows 10

I have tried all te different procedures in partitions, creating one partition, two partitions, gparted, boot-repair, etc,

Android X86 4.4 works fine but anything later, just wont do.

Who can help????

Regards, Herb

• 1 year later...
  • Brandon H locked this topic