single player fps to vent, suggestions?

I'm looking for a single player fps just for kicks. To vent off from time to time, i'm not a hardcore gamer. An option is Serious Sam 3, worth the $5 on steam? :p

Painkiller: Black Edition

(or Gold Edition, there is no difference.  Gold was released on cds, Black on DVDs)

If you CAN HANDLE the older graphics, this game is the BALLS.    No much mindless fun, killing 1000s of enimies, then fighting a HUGE boss.

Later versions tried to recreat the magic with better graphics, but they are all terrible and boring.  original is the best.

also, it is like $2 now. 

Classic Game Room reviews PAINKILLER: BLACK EDITION, one of the best first person shooters ever!! Mow down waves of the undead and other bizarre creatures in this amazing, old school style shooter with superb action. Painkiller Black Edition includes the expansion pack Battle Out of Hell, featuring 10 additional single-player levels and many new villains.

actually wanted to mention i was not very good at FPS, and i never though i will get past level 2 in that game.   but something in it (the atmosphere, and the cool weapons) made me come back again and again, until i got to level 3

took me over a month to finish and it is one of my favorite memories, just like classic i enjoyed back when FPS was new and exciting (wolf3d, doom, quake, heretic, etc etc)

if you want something other then mindless entertainment and excitement, that you can play in short surges,

i got something for you too ... but since the game rights were lost between publishers, it was never released on steam,

there is no way to get it legally, unless you buy used copy on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/No-One-Lives-Forever-Game-Edition/dp/B00005QX48

or look for it on the web :shifty: 

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way is fantastic too

you can play then in short outbusts, and it is REALLY lightheared and funny... very entertaining.

get the cheat codes: (god mode, all weapons, unlimited ammo) for any of the games mentioned above and just cut loose.

Edited by CrashGordon
Editor won't let me post the correct thing

• 9 months later...

Actually, DC Universe Online (F2P MMORPG) is my "vent" game, with the Invasion zones as the place to vent.  Depending on which Invasion Zone you visit, the opposition can be anywhere from weak to challenging.

Once I got some characters above CR100, I found a new way to vent - soloing raids.  (Raids are typically meant for teams of eight; taking them on in Army Of One mode is, therefore, a real challenge.)  The only Tier 4 and below raids that are NOT soloable are Batcave: Inner Sanctum and Fortress of Solitude: Power Core (each has a key puzzle mid-raid that requires at least four people).

Gates of Tartarus?  Prime Battleground? (These were endgame content of the "classic" game"; now, they are mid-level raids.)  Both are soloable; in fact, I have soloed both.  Healer characters are easiest to solo raids with - controller characters are hardest.

• 3 weeks later...

Serious Sam is a hell of a fun game. Perfect for relieving stress. You don't have to worry about any complex story line or abilities. Just shoot stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The doom reboot is my go to vent game... its very visceral and fast. There's nothing like tearing up a room full of demons with the double barrelled shotgun.