Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?

Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?

• YES - Comment your purchase
    • NO - State your reasons

I never bought any refurbished items because I don't trust them and I will pay a little more to buy a brand new ones. I don't give a damn about any certifications, I just need my item to be new.

I bought a motherboard just recently that was a refurb/previously opened product. Judging from the reviews on that board being overwhelming positive, and the fact that the board has only been out for 6-8 months, I took a chance on assuming the previous owner was an idiot or didn't want it and saved 40% on price. It's been working flawlessly.

I never buy refurbished electronics, or anything for that matter. I don't mind paying extra for something brand new, and it just gives me better peace of mind. However, I would never knock anyone that does buy refurbished.

Nope.  Don't trust them. 

Though I suspect I was sent a refurb LG G2 (after my new puppy used my original one as a chew toy last year) ... and it sucks (the touchscreen doesn't work properly/as fluid as the original).

Camera, console, laptop, activity band, car-hifi, phones, peripherals...

Always made sure they are basically either open boxed but unusued or unopen boxed.  Not had any issues and literally saved £1000s.

NO. I only buy brand new stuff. I don't buy anything second-hand.

Why, just cuz, and I can afford anything I want anyways.

Note: Refurb does not always mean second hand - often it can suggest excess stock or such.  I can afford most anything I want, but I still look to make a bargain where I can.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Note: Refurb does not always mean second hand - often it can suggest excess stock or such.  I can afford most anything I want, but I still look to make a bargain where I can.

Always thought refurbished was just that ... refurbished.  Items sent back (with possibly nothing wrong) or just needing small repairs.  Anyway...warranty periods are usually a lot smaller... like 90 days or so.

Thought excess stock = Black Friday sales (or other similar sales). :)

Just now, jjkusaf said:

Always thought refurbished was just that ... refurbished.  Items sent back (with possibly nothing wrong) or just needing small repairs.  Anyway...warranty periods are usually a lot smaller... like 90 days or so.

Thought excess stock = Black Friday sales (or other similar sales). :)

Yes and no.  eBay (for example) has a few classifications of products - and there's not one for "excess stock" - so they fall into the refub category.

Also, let's take Dell for example.  They don't stock computers, they are made to order (often) - so someone specs up a computer, doesn't pay - it goes into their refurb store, even though it's never been touched.  Save £100s - heck mine even had the 3 year on-site warranty as that was part of the chosen spec!

2 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Yes and no.  eBay (for example) has a few classifications of products - and there's not one for "excess stock" - so they fall into the refub category.

Wouldnt excess stock be considered clearance items.  Or overstock sales.   Never heard them be called refurbished. 

I haven't, but I know people who have brought manufacturer refurbished (tech) products, and they've always seemed happy with them.

The main reason I haven't is because I'm too lazy to seek them out. 

I've bought some refurbished routers before.

I also bought two Logitech G510s keyboards.

I bought two Surface 2s refurbished.

Those are only off the top of my head. Sometimes, for certain items, refurbished can make a lot of sense. I mean hell, the Surface 2 were still under warranty only until recently and I even sent one in to get replaced.

I've bought refurbished game consoles in the past. I think the last one I bought that way was my PS2 in 2004. I've never had a problem with getting refurbished things.

I used to work at Factory Direct in 2002 and at the time -- before I worked there and sometime after I worked there -- they sold new, used, and refurb computers, etc.  Now, they are no better than Showcase (As Seen On TV) chain of stores.

I have bought used products, just never refurbs.

7 hours ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Refurbished means, "Renovate and redecorate" according to Oxford Dictionary.

That's just great, but like I say the term is being incorrectly used by online sellers, and as such I don't give a rat's ass about the OED definition when it comes to my purchases.

I've bought refurbished things.  I don't do it often, but my laptop was a refurb it works perfectly well.  It just wasn't powerful enough for the previous owner.

Yep! Several years ago I bought a refurbished Asus nVidia GTS 450 from Newegg, which still works great.

I also recently purchased a refurbished Corsair CS650M power supply after having a (so far) good experience with another Corsair power supply I had bought new a few years ago. The refurbished one still came with a 1 year warranty so I figure it should be a decently safe bet. It was about $30 cheaper than a new one at the time ($60 vs $90, though the list price is $120.), and it had free shipping, so I think it'll be worth it.

I've bought one or two, items that I wasn't terribly worried about, if they explode, meh I'll just get another one.  Important, expensive or "critical" items no, I go new with those. 

I'll buy pretty much anything as a factory refurbished item that comes with the same standard warranty as new.

iPads, 15" macbook pro, small kitchen appliances.