Sony Bans Tag due to offensive name. Tag has been working for 10 years about

Full story here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/4pz3vx/so_sony_permanently_banned_my_oldhighlyinvestedin/

Its the guys real name, but Sony customer support in the UK offered to change his name, but decides against it and permabans his account which he loses access to all his digital content offline and online.

This is just terrible:

CVV75EJ.png

I really regret buying digital games on my ps4.

Looks like there was a somewhat happy ending:

Edit 11: Changed Name! So after media posts, from Kotaku, Gameinformer and a reporter from WSJ, Playstation UK (where my account was under) Contacted me via Twitter then they called me. I was offered to change the PSN ID, but that has it costs! My Trophies will have Syncing problems and could disappear, Friends are gone and social communication is deleted! There's no other way to it. The other interesting thing, he made the change from iJihad to Jiii--- in just 2 seconds over the phone call! It's not rocket science but it needs much technical improvements. (Noting my trophies are ZERO now after syncing)

They have told me that it was auto system checking (Which I find difficult to believe considering it's around 7 years accounts) and no one has an opinion in it!

He have also mentioned that they are discussing developing a system to allow name changes to all, still in the discussions though!

I'm really thankful to all of you guys who supported me and support Gaming community in general. These voices are the ones who will shape the future of gaming. If we let Corporate Managers decide, bad things always happen. Keep up the high voice! We are always heard no matter where we are!!

it's good that there was a silver lining...

but why does this person have to suffer, for using his actual name?

i know the world is in a sensitive state right now, but Jihad is his actual name...

Sony should actually compensate him in some capacity for this..

Having a friends/community list vanish, trophies [possibly gone as well]... 

Basically 2console generations worth of work.. can possibly vanish just like that...

I think Jihad, should be owed more than a "Free Name Change"

Personally I don't think it matters if it's his real name or not.  People name their kids crazy things, if someone names their kid Holocaust should they be able to use that name on PSN?  What if they name their kid a racial slur or profanity?  Either Sony has the right to restrict names or they don't and "Jihad" is a perfectly reasonable name to restrict no matter if it's a person's legal name or not.  That said they should not have perma-banned him.  Especially if he's had that name for years before they decided it's one they would no longer allow.  Having him change it was the correct thing to do so it looks like it all worked out in the end.

23 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Personally I don't think it matters if it's his real name or not.  People name their kids crazy things, if someone names their kid Holocaust should they be able to use that name on PSN?  What if they name their kid a racial slur or profanity?  Either Sony has the right to restrict names or they don't and "Jihad" is a perfectly reasonable name to restrict no matter if it's a person's legal name or not.  That said they should not have perma-banned him.  Especially if he's had that name for years before they decided it's one they would no longer allow.  Having him change it was the correct thing to do so it looks like it all worked out in the end.

It's worth noting that it isn't his parents just calling him something ridiculous like movie stars might, the word Jihad in Arabic has multiple & nuanced meanings and can be given as a name. Holocaust, by comparison, is not a given name. Sony can restrict names but they probably also have to accept that they are a global company with users from all over the world.

Jihad in someone's name is nothing compared to the horrifying stuff people say to each other in MP.

23 hours ago, Asmodai said:

No person should have to suffer for name was given to them.  I understand we live in a very sensitive world today, but you have to look at it from Jihad's perspective as well...

There's a chance he can lose social connections, trophies and all... It may not seem like much, but when you have years invested into it... thats a back breaker...

But this also shows that Sony needs to allow PSN Tag changes that have no ramifications [like Jihad's situation] with it.

1 hour ago, compl3x said:

It's worth noting that it isn't his parents just calling him something ridiculous like movie stars might, the word Jihad in Arabic has multiple & nuanced meanings and can be given as a name. Holocaust, by comparison, is not a given name. Sony can restrict names but they probably also have to accept that they are a global company with users from all over the world.

My younger sister had a friend growing up named Treblinka.  I don't know if it was spelled exactly that what but it was pronounced the same.  I assume it had some other meaning though I have no idea what that is.  I can't believe anyone would intentionally name their daughter after a Nazi extermination camp (or a village in Poland for that matter seeing as they were not of European descent).  I suspect Sony would block that name as well, I would, even if it does have some other meaning.

You're exactly right that Sony has to "accept that they are a global company with users from all over the world."  What that means is that words that are offense in one part of the world may need to be blocked even if they have "multiple & nuanced" non-offensive meanings in other parts of the world.  Global marketing and branding companies have to deal with that sort of thing all the time.  A word that means one thing in one language for example could mean something very different (and potentially offensive) in another.  Global companies avoid using words that are offensive anywhere, they don't keep using them just because they found a non-offensive use.

1 hour ago, compl3x said:

Jihad in someone's name is nothing compared to the horrifying stuff people say to each other in MP.

Agreed, but Sony can't control what people say to each other in MP, they CAN control want PSN names they allow.

I would not blame Sony...yet.  Could just be an idiot Sony support person or the guy is being a jerk.  Sony will probably make this right.

Also, take in to account the feelings of all users is ######.  Never going to satisfy everyone.  Makes makes me think that the support person, James, is just being a jerk.

1 hour ago, Showan said:

No person should have to suffer for name was given to them.  I understand we live in a very sensitive world today, but you have to look at it from Jihad's perspective as well...

There's a chance he can lose social connections, trophies and all... It may not seem like much, but when you have years invested into it... thats a back breaker...

But this also shows that Sony needs to allow PSN Tag changes that have no ramifications [like Jihad's situation] with it.

This doesn't contradict anything I said.  I said they shouldn't have banned him so we agree.  He should not be allowed to keep the PSN name "Jihad" though just because it's his real name but nor should he have to "suffer" and lose social connection, trophies and all.  Again we seem to agree that they should have just had him change his PSN tag with no ramifications.

1 hour ago, Asmodai said:

This doesn't contradict anything I said.  I said they shouldn't have banned him so we agree.  He should not be allowed to keep the PSN name "Jihad" though just because it's his real name but nor should he have to "suffer" and lose social connection, trophies and all.  Again we seem to agree that they should have just had him change his PSN tag with no ramifications.

for the first time in human history... two people agree to agree ...:woot::woot: