Odd Chrome issue

Recently last week or two, all of my desktops have been having an identical issue and I've narrowed it down to the current Google Chrome.  On all three systems and only in chrome, navigating to a URL will just hang. The browser just sits with a white screen and the loading animation on the tab never stops. If I manually stop the page and refresh it comes up fine. Also, if I right click and view source, it all appears to be there (well, I have a closing </html> tag at the end).This will happen about every 8 or 10 urls. Two of the browsers only run LastPass, one does not run LastPass. That's the extent of the browser extensions. Also note this is happening with two different users so its not just a simply user profile issue (unless they all got corrupt the same way at the same time).

Edge, IE 11 and Firefox all perform normally. 

Anyone have a clue?  This is driving us crazy.

If you have Google account to sync your settings, you can try to reset the browser:

Open following:

chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings

It could be because of some GPU update or any driver update through Windows Update in Patch Tuesday.

Open the Chrome shortcut and add the following in the target field to disable the GPU (Hardware Acceleration):

--disable-gpu

Do this.png

and also try adding following to ensure that no plugin is responsible for the UI lockup.

--disable-plugins

Thanks Zlip792. I have a feeling these aren't related but I'm going to try all of them, one at a time because you never know.  I'll post back my findings.

Since yesterday, I've been having the same issue on my Lenovo X1 Carbon. I do not have the same issue on my gaming PC at home though.

OK Zlip, tried each of your suggestions one at a time and let each roll. In each case, the issue resurfaced within minutes. At this point, I'm actually beginning to think maybe its a bad ad server or something being hit and chrome isnt handling the timeout or something. 

49 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

OK Zlip, tried each of your suggestions one at a time and let each roll. In each case, the issue resurfaced within minutes. At this point, I'm actually beginning to think maybe its a bad ad server or something being hit and chrome isnt handling the timeout or something. 

Open Developer Tools through F12, go to Console and then load the website.

Try to see, if any error popups and share the screenshot.

Make sure you tick this option before taking above screenshot. Press F1 while the Developer Tools are opened.

Do this - 2.PNG

If possible, do share the URL on which you are having issue.

Also can you try the Google Chrome Canary - https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/canary.html

It will not mess up your main profile and will be good to ensure that your issue is resolved in the future Chrome version.

I have been having problems with images loading slow sites ... started happening last couple weeks.

on some sites it wont load image until you scrolled over them or not load at all. which is kind of lame when you have a 200mb connection. and speed test shows everything is fine.

I think it has to do with chrome compression method and not agreeing with servers.

Usually when I have the rare issue in Chrome all I do is do a full cache clear and it starts working as normal 

And I mean clear EVERYTHING, even passwords if stored 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this too, and only in Chrome. I don't adblock on Neowin (I whitelist sites that play nice) I reset the browser, cleared everything but I didn't try the reset profile thing yet, what does that do exactly? I prefer to know what is going to get cleared first. 

I also opened a support ticket with my default advertiser with a detailed explication of what is happening and they are looking into it, they didn't dismiss the issue (like they will others that aren't on them) so maybe it is a bad ad  server call or something.

Unfortunately for me, the problem goes away when I adblock or have the VPN on (with ad tracking enabled with PIA). So I can only assume it is ad related.

• Like 1