Significant lagging when typing in Gmail

On my laptop computer, there is significant lagging when typing a message in Gmail. It's really becoming an annoyance that I don't immediately see what I type. I'll type a word and there is about a 1-2 second delay before it shows on the screen. There is also significant lagging when trying to scroll through messages. It's like there is something running in the background in gmail that's making it slow. I do have many messages in the inbox; could that be a factor? 

Is it only gmail that this happens? What about when you created this thread, was the typing slow or normal? Try clearing your browser cache, go to chrome://settings/clearBrowserData and try clearing the cache. Is chrome up-to-date? I have tons of emails in my inbox and it has not resulted in slow typing, I don't believe that is your issue.

4 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

On my laptop computer, there is significant lagging when typing a message in Gmail. It's really becoming an annoyance that I don't immediately see what I type. I'll type a word and there is about a 1-2 second delay before it shows on the screen. There is also significant lagging when trying to scroll through messages. It's like there is something running in the background in gmail that's making it slow. I do have many messages in the inbox; could that be a factor?

- make sure the advanced setting "Run Computer Sucking Background Google Became Evil Processes on this computer" is turned OFF

- disable any extenstionns while debugging this issue

- try all of the major browsers: Edge, Chrome, Firefox

Also, make sure all other tabs are closed, particularly any modern HTML5 crap which sucks the life out of your computer as well.

And run task manager to make sure nothing is killing your CPU, which is unlikely.

The most common cause is a Javascript issue since Javascript was designed by lunatic gibberish speaking monkeys from mars and it for it was never designed to run a modern application such as a mail program. Just because Google patched together the monstrosity that is Gmail, does not mean any of this makes any sense so be patient and be amazed that whenever it does work the way most people expect, cute little furry Martian Kittens are being sacrificed deep underground in the evil part of... ah forget it, just be thankful this absolute junk ever works at all...

• 1 month later...

Is the issue there when you are typing a word document or only on Chrome browser? Because if the issue is on other typing programs, than it can be that you have not switched off your system in a long time or it is hanging. Press Alt-Ctrl-Dlt and in the performance tab see the usage if it is too high. 

If it is only in your browser than try clearing cookies/caches and freeing up space on your gmail account. It has a default memory of 2GB. 

• 3 years later...

Having the same issue.  But it's even whey trying to file into folder.  You click on "Move To" either nothing types or after typing the first 4 or 5 characters, it clears and you have to start typing again.   In some instances the Actual Move To list is delayed in appearing.