Rip DVDs to x265?

Question

5 answers to this question

So you never ripped a dvd before, you don't have any of your dvds ripped from before?  And now you want to rip them to x265 - what about 264 does that work..  Why to 265, what are you going to play these files back with/on ?

VidCoder and Passkey or just use MakeMKV to remux dvd to mkv (if you want to have a simple file with exacly same quality)

if you still want to encode then use x264 with crf at atleast high profile should do fine if your encoding with vidcoder

http://vidcoder.net/Documentation/VideoQualityOptions.html

http://vidcoder.net/Documentation/RippingDiscs.html

x265 only saves space/bandwidth, it does not improve quality over a quality x264 profile

x265 is also way slower than x264, so it takes longer to encode

So here is a good paper on testing compression differences.. Looks like about ~50% can be seen with x265 vs x264 so that is some great compression.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?reload=true&tp=&arnumber=7254155

So I can see why someone might want to convert to this.  But keep in mind there is another option VP9 that is competition to 265 (HEVC).

Understanding your exact use case helps in discussion of your best option at this time.  So actually have dvd's that you have not ripped before, or do you have them ripped in AVC (264) and looking to rerip or convert?  Are you really worried about space, do you have a large library to rip or we talking only a few dvds/blurays?

What is going to play these digital copies from your optical disks is also key into understanding support, or future support and ability to do direct copy or would it have to transcode your x265 to something else to stream it, etc. etc.

I have a bunch of home videos that at some point will need to convert to current standards, etc.  When you want your video's to be watchable 20 years from now, etc.  Along the way they will have to be converted to current standards both in format and container along with storage, etc.  Sorry to somewhat stray from your actual ?, but understanding the exact need/want helps vs just answer to direct question asked.  Most often I find that the question asked doesn't always reflect the true nature of the need or quite often the OP might be headed down the wrong path altogether, etc.  The more information provided helps to drive the discussion down the right path to solution.

I use the DVD Fab 9 Suite. It allows me to rip, encode, and what not. It gives most of the options that BudMan speaks of. You can pick your quality from Low to Excellent. I re-encoded a bluray (RAW was 49GB), dropped it to 2.5GB with English 2.0 and English 5.1, video file itself was 2.2GB. Excellent quality was 8.9GB and unmodified English Audio.

But consider what BudMan says.