Pokemon Go getting out of hand

Cops: Two Drunken Guys Crashed Their Cars While Playing Pokémon Go Via Smoking Gun 

pokeduo16.jpg

In separate incidents early Saturday, two intoxicated Wisconsin motorists crashed their cars while playing Pokémon Go, investigators charge.

According to cops, the first accident occurred at 2:35 AM when Benjamin Schappe, 25, “failed to negotiate a curve” and struck a pole in Verona, a town outside Madison. Schappe was transported to a local hospital with “non-life-threatening injuries.”

Schappe, a Madison resident, was cited for drunk driving and inattentive driving.

At 6:27 AM, Jordan Speigle drove off the road and into a tree in Verona, according to the Dane County Sheriff’s Office. Speigle’s Mitsubishi Galant caught fire after the crash, but the 26-year-old was able to escape from the vehicle.

Speigle--who was treated for minor injuries at a local hospital--was cited for drunk driving and driving without insurance.     

Seen above, Schappe (left) and Speigle both "admitted to playing Pokémon Go while they were driving," according to investigators.

Lesson: quit playing while driving.:|

You can replace Pokemon Go with just about anything, though. And they were drunk, that's probably the real issue in the first place.

Blaming this on Pokemon Go is a bit of a reach, I think.

I can't help but think with stories like these, that the idiots mentioned in them would have done this sort of stupid stuff anyway. In this instance, they just happened to be playing the said game at the time. In an alternate universe where Pokemon Go hadn't been released, they would have been text messaging/on the phone/just not paying attention for a whole host of other reason because they are the type of person who would have been irresponsible like this.

And I say this as a non-fan of the game.

• Like 2

Just now, Quillz said:

You can replace Pokemon Go with just about anything, though. And they were drunk, that's probably the real issue in the first place.

not really, here in Reno, they have an app that disables your phone while driving. we had a spate of accidents of teens being distracted. I didn't mean to blame the app outright, its the numskulls who are to blame. 

You could simply re-write the title as "two drunk teens crash while playing on their phones" and you pretty much have just as accurate of a story, if not more accurate because if you're going to drunk drive, anything you add on top of that just makes the drunk driving worse.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kalkal said:

I can't help but think with stories like these, that the idiots mentioned in them would have done this sort of stupid stuff anyway. In this instance, they just happened to be playing the said game at the time. In an alternate universe where Pokemon Go hadn't been released, they would have been text messaging/on the phone/just not paying attention for a whole host of other reason because they are the type of person who would have been irresponsible like this.

And I say this as a non-fan of the game.

and I think they both were intoxicated too. instant idiot, just add alcohol... :D 

21 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I would...

There is story after story about a person doing something stupid because they are so focused on their phone playing Pokemon Go to notice what's going on around them or where they actually are.

Edited by trag3dy

I thought the game didn't work if you were going faster than walking speed. Anyway as others have said they were driving drunk, why is Pokemon Go being blamed?

Edited by Rigby

18 minutes ago, Rigby said:

I thought the game didn't work if you were going faster than walking speed. Anyway as others have said they were driving drunk, why is Pokemon Go being blamed?

The game works fine at any speed, It's just the Egg hatching part that stops counting when you go faster than ~15mph. Nintendo want you to exercise not sit on your bum and hatch all your eggs in one go.

Wild encounters still happen but I do believe they are more likely to escape at high speeds.

49 minutes ago, Rigby said:

well intoxication makes people do things they normally wouldn't do sober. impairs judgement etc. But Pokemon go could be a problem as its running on mobile devices which we all know people ignore reality around them. Ever see the zombies walking down streets nose buried in said phones?

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fmyrevolution.n

• Like 1

Wait until the casual sex version of this game comes out. You can form teams and rise to the top of the leader board too. Hardcore gaming will never be the same.

Former Marine Was Trying To "Catch" Pokémon Sea Creature When He Drove Car Into Tree

carylapras.jpg

The New York man who wrapped his car around a tree while playing “Pokémon Go” is a former Marine who was trying to “catch” Lapras, a blue sea creature, right before the crash Tuesday night.

Steven Cary, 28, suffered a broken ankle and leg lacerations when he slammed into the tree while driving alone near a lake in Auburn, an upstate city about 25 miles west of Syracuse.

Cary (left) and Lapras are pictured above.

Cops report that Cary admitted to “actively playing the ‘Pokémon Go’ game while driving causing him to become distracted and run off the roadway into a tree.” He is expected to be cited in connection with the one-car crash.

According to family members, Cary spotted the Lapras Pokémon and became briefly distracted, allowing the vehicle to careen off the roadway and into the tree. In an e-mail, Cary’s mother said that her son was “injured and extremely tired right now,” adding that, “my son is a former marine who is trying to be a firefighter and EMT.”

The Lapras Pokémon has a shell on its back and is “most known for its fondness of moving people and Pokémon across bodies of water,” according to Wikipedia. The large sea creature is reportedly averse to fighting, which makes them “an easy target for hunters.” Whatever that means.

Cary was driving his younger brother Zachary’s 1996 Honda Accord, which (as seen below) is now totaled. Cary’s sibling has launched a crowd funding campaign to raise $3000 to purchase a replacement vehicle. Launched last night, the effort has so far raised $215.

His commander will give him non judicial punishment for sure  he should know better than that. people are stupid

Edited by chrisj1968

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

I would...

There is story after story about a person doing something stupid because they are so focused on their phone playing Pokemon Go to notice what's going on around them or where they actually are.

More like "Bodycam Shows Stupid Driver playing Pokemon Go Crashes Into Police Car". Don't blame the game blame the people.

1 minute ago, Doli said:

More like "Bodycam Shows Stupid Driver playing Pokemon Go Crashes Into Police Car". Don't blame the game blame the people.

Semantics. The driver says he was playing the game at the end of the video.

Well one solution could be this. most games have you verify your identity. I mean Pokemon Go a far as I've learned keeps tabs on your location. Why not have the app determine if a user has a car and if the smartphone comes in the proximity of the car say 10 feet, Pokemon Go won't function as it can triangulate your location by using your cars GPS as most have GPS now a days anyway. the app won't function.

lesson: if stupid people can't control themselves, then ruin it for the rest.

I don't like Pokemon Go anyway. its a fad. its dangerous in that people are making dangerously bad decisions based on being hooked on Pokemon Go. I like living in reality anyway. they're trying to do this concept with guns in the US as well. (not here to start a debate on that issue as there's a thread for it but making a point)

3 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

... Why not have the app determine if a user has a car and if the smartphone comes in the proximity of the car say 10 feet, Pokemon Go won't function as it can triangulate your location by using your cars GPS as most have GPS now a days anyway. the app won't function.

You want a game to connect to the DVM (US) to determine if a user has a car with GPS... That's crazy.

On 7/22/2016 at 9:19 PM, Jack 0Neill said:

Yea it's totally not the game...

Wow, I can't believe people are that into this game. I tried it but got bored after a couple minutes...

On 7/22/2016 at 2:30 AM, trag3dy said:

I would...

No, there's is a few stories. If all the other "person was distracted with phone/radio/girlfriend/..." got as much attention as these pokemon stories get right now, you'd realie how insignificant they are in the grand scale

and even then, it's not the game, it's the idiots playing it. idiots that would do the same stupid crap without pokemon go, but with something else. 

Just because other people are having fun with something you don't think i fun, isn't an excuse to go and try to make up bad stuff about it. or do you think violent video games creates violent killers as well ? it's about the same logic. 

On 7/22/2016 at 3:53 AM, chrisj1968 said:

I don't like Pokemon Go anyway. its a fad. its dangerous in that people are making dangerously bad decisions based on being hooked on Pokemon Go. I like living in reality anyway. they're trying to do this concept with guns in the US as well. (not here to start a debate on that issue as there's a thread for it but making a point)

what... where are you making up these crazy things from ? people do dangerous and stupid things all the time. pokemon isn't causing them to do it.  sheesh...  The crazy stuff you see people who don't play the game, don't understand how it works, and for some reason feel a need to hate it and spend more time bashing it online than it's players spend playing it baffles me 

On 7/23/2016 at 4:19 AM, Jack 0Neill said:

Yea it's totally not the game...

And this has what to do with pokemon ? this reporter would be just as bored without pokemon go and would be playing something else or surfing something else. making fabricated connections. 

on top of that, the reporter having his phone open with the game on, did NOT interrupt anything. the guy talking was the one interrupting himself. 

20 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

No, there's is a few stories. If all the other "person was distracted with phone/radio/girlfriend/..." got as much attention as these pokemon stories get right now, you'd realie how insignificant they are in the grand scale

and even then, it's not the game, it's the idiots playing it. idiots that would do the same stupid crap without pokemon go, but with something else. 

Just because other people are having fun with something you don't think i fun, isn't an excuse to go and try to make up bad stuff about it. or do you think violent video games creates violent killers as well ? it's about the same logic. 

Where did I say I didn't think it was fun? I don't recall stating my opinion on the game...anywhere..ever.

Geez man, you're making some massive assumptions there.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:27 PM, chrisj1968 said:

well intoxication makes people do things they normally wouldn't do sober. impairs judgement etc. But Pokemon go could be a problem as its running on mobile devices which we all know people ignore reality around them. Ever see the zombies walking down streets nose buried in said phones?

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fmyrevolution.n

Why is the game itself a problem? You can replace Pokemon Go with Facebook, instagram, texting, etc. It is the user if anything, we have had all sorts of games and apps, this is just the latest craze. People are attempting to put blame on the game for peoples stupid actions. I mean, don't we often argue it isn't the gun that kills people, but rather the person with the gun? Rather than blame the game, blame yourself/parents/guardian and take responsibility for yourself.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:53 PM, chrisj1968 said:

Well one solution could be this. most games have you verify your identity. I mean Pokemon Go a far as I've learned keeps tabs on your location. Why not have the app determine if a user has a car and if the smartphone comes in the proximity of the car say 10 feet, Pokemon Go won't function as it can triangulate your location by using your cars GPS as most have GPS now a days anyway. the app won't function.

lesson: if stupid people can't control themselves, then ruin it for the rest.

Or how about people dont play the game while driving, it is really that simple.

• Like 2