Xeon E5630 2.53GHz 12meg Cache, OH BABY!

For the longest time, I had an AMD Phenom CPU in charge of recording all of my security camera video, voice mail the works (video being the hardest task). A month ago I was researching a NVR because the CPU I was currently using in my server (voice, video, web) was being ass raped by the 3 security camera feeds ..at about 60% CPU usages. Then that week, a customer brought in a dell pc she got years ago. Now the computer had a with a bad motherboard, (they wanted to replace it with a different computer but still give me the components). The CPU ..which was a Xeon E5630 was compatible with a spare motherboard I had upstairs.

The motherboard I used technically came from my "gaming PC" ...but I never gamed on it., Once I put it in, installed all the software and was flabbergasted that with 3 camera's it only took up 10% cpu power. So, of course, I finally added 2 more cameras. which I've wanted to do for a while, I just didn't want to max out my old server CPU at 100%. After adding 2 more security camera's the CPU is only at 30%. tomorrow I'll post a photo of all 5 security camera's in the daylight. I took one just now, but it's dark.

The CPU itself can be purchased on Amazon for about $60 used

what a fantastic CPU.. plus it has 12 meg L2

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

For the longest time I had an AMD Phenom CPU in charge of recording all of my security camera video, voice mail the works (video being the hardest task). A month ago I was researching a NVR because the CPU I was currently using in my server (voice, video, web) was being ass raped by the 3 security camera feeds ..at about 60% cpu usages. Then that week, I got a customer who brought in an older dell with a bad motherboard, (they wanted to replaced with a different computer but still give me the components). The CPU ..which was a Xeon E5630 was compatible with a spare motherboard I had upstairs.

The motherboard I used technically came from my "gaming PC" ...but I never gamed on it., Once I put it in, installed all the software and was flabbergasted that with 3 camera's it only took up 10% cpu power. So of course I finally added 2 more camera's. which I've wanted to do for a while, I just didn't want to max out my old server CPU at 100%. After adding 2 more security camera's the CPU is only at 30%. tomorrow I'll post a photo of all 5 security camera's in the daylight. I took one just now, but it's dark.

The CPU itself can be purchased on Amazon for about $60 used

what a fantastic CPU.. plus it has 12 meg L2

Yip, they are quite the server chip in general buddy, I know of a mate who has 2 on a dual CPU socket server board running with his 1070...goes like stink with all those cores/threads/ load of ECC comaptible ram.

you should see cpu utilisation on the latest Xeons, my ESXi 5.5 HA setup at work has 24 phys cpus and we run almost 30 VMs servers and the cluster doesnt even hit 5% cpu utlisation through the working day (250 endpoints/users accessing all resources), power draw from both hosts is under 200W load per host.........id be happy to see a USFF with that power draw under load :D retired an IBM blade Center & 12 Xeon blades which had 2x2kw PSUs.........the new setup runs rings round the old Bladecenter and 1/10th of the power draw.......less power use, less cooling overheads in server room and it all fits into 2U :| (+2U for the new SAN) it helps the X series servers dont have any disks at all, esxi is on a memory chip inside.

Edited by Mando

1 hour ago, Mando said:

it helps the X series servers dont have any disks at all, esxi is on a memory chip inside.

Sorry if I sound like I taken that out of context, not it not even a SSD? What happens if the power goes out?

10 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Sorry if I sound like I taken that out of context, not it not even a SSD? What happens if the power goes out?

its an EEPROM/memory stick mate, not nonvolatile RAM memory, sorry should have made that clearer.

Both ESXi hosts are like that in my HA cluster, your VM appliances live on a seperate SAN, connected to esxi via virtual switches.

VMware supply esxi on the memory dev these days, along with your Vcenter server as a virtual appliance. Infrastructure manager as a stand alone app is dwindling, after 6 it will be all webui. 

even in 5.5 the web interface does a lot more than the old infra manager does now.

The system with this new (to me) CPU is still purring like a kitten. Apparently this CPU used on Amazon can be had for $60.

80W TDP. Do you also use it to heat up a part of your house? :rofl:

I kid.. I'm just jealous really!

21 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

80W TDP. Do you also use it to heat up a part of your house? :rofl:

I kid.. I'm just jealous really!

80W isn't bad for a desktop machine. That's only 15 over Skylake and 15 under the lower wattage AMD offerings. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm under the personal opinion of absolutely hating push pin CPU coolers. I would gladly pay an extra $5 to get a CPU cooler with a metal bracket and some screws. Yes, I know that's AKA aftermarket CPU cooler, which everyone should get anyway, but still... these stock coolers that use these ######## push pin pieces of ######..... god I hate everything plastic.

I would also gladly pay $5 more dollars to buy a laptop which actually screwed the back on instead of using ######## plastic clips!

So anyway, the E5630 worked great as a low power i7 920 replacement. Motherboard detected it jus fine (updated to the latest bios released in 2010 today before it arrived), except the computer is down until Tuesday for a CPU cooler replacement. After putting on the i7 920 stock cooler on the Xeon it was 180F, but then after putting that same cooler back on the i7 920 it was also 180f. so I think one of those god damn push pin plastic pieces of dog ######, got bent and weren't making a good connection. After messing with it, it the cooler push pins literally started falling apart lol, No big deal, since I separated my QuickBooks computer to a separate laptop via RDP and can do everything from my brix pro couch computer upstairs and if I need to, use my Macbook Pro on my repair table.

Funny thing was, when I opened the side of the case and saw that cpu cooler my first reaction was "Oh god" ....I should have been smart and thought "Adam, don't even mess with it til you get a better CPU cooler that isn't dog ######" :D

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm under the personal opinion of absolutely hating push pin CPU coolers. I would gladly pay an extra $5 to get a CPU cooler with a metal bracket and some screws. Yes, I know that's AKA aftermarket CPU cooler, which everyone should get anyway, but still... these stock coolers that use these ######## push pin pieces of ######..... god I hate everything plastic.

I would also gladly pay $5 more dollars to buy a laptop which actually screwed the back on instead of using ######## plastic clips!

They've gotten carried away with the use of plastic and glue in modern hardware.

I didn't even bother with the stock Intel HSF. One look at it and you know its crap. Bought a Noctua unit. Its complete overkill for my rig, but it was easy to install, and I pretty much never have to worry about overheating my CPU. I could probably get away with passive cooling if I didn't play games.

Its a shame the motherboards are so expensive for those Xeons, or I'd have me one.

Edited by slamfire92

13 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

its a shame the motherboards are so expensive for those Xeons, or I'd have me one.

I dunno, maybe i bought an expensive one back in 08, but my PT6 deluxe supports it without issue.

It was funny, after i ordered it (which at $14 for 2 or $7 for 1 is no big deal) I watched a youtube video for the best cpu deals. There was another Xeon for another socket which was about $80 per  CPU but Crazy benchmarks. About 20meg cach eand 12,000 benchmark score.

6 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Well... mine was the V1 ... I have records of all.. let me look it up and see... ..or wait... that computer is down..lol... hmm.. let me search google mail..... err wow, that search worked great.

ok now I feel like an ######, I paid $299.99 :D

On the flip slide, I guess it pays to spend a little bit more. Future proofs you 8 years later :D

That god damn thing doesn't even have USB 3 or Sata 6 ...geesh!

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well... mine was the V1 ... I have records of all.. let me look it up and see... ..or wait... that computer is down..lol... hmm.. let me search google mail..... err wow, that search worked great.

ok now I feel like an ######, I paid $299.99 :D

You fell into one of those golden situations where all the spare parts just lined up and the computer gods handed you a gem. I'm hoping for the same when our currently new rack server @ work gets replaced in a few years :)

12 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Maybe it just me but when I look at 2.53GHZ, I don't think that it as fast as my i5 4690..... Unless I'm missing something.

Yeah you're missing that it was released over six years ago.

I still have an i7 920 machine I *think* is in reasonable shape I could put back together, damn good for some things...not so much for others.  I just have no use for it right now.

On 8/13/2016 at 0:18 AM, warwagon said:

For the longest time, I had an AMD Phenom CPU in charge of recording all of my security camera video,

How bad is the crime there?

Has having Video ever been useful ?

16 minutes ago, Hum said:

How bad is the crime there?

Has having Video ever been useful ?

No crime at all.. I just like seeing what's going on outside on all 5 cameras. Plus while I'm watching TV I can see when a customer arrives.

9 hours ago, LostCat said:

Yeah you're missing that it was released over six years ago.

I still have an i7 920 machine I *think* is in reasonable shape I could put back together, damn good for some things...not so much for others.  I just have no use for it right now.

Plus the i7 920 is 130 watts .... this xeon is slightly faster and 80 watts

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Don't care.

Anyway I'm about to build a Zen machine so this one'll be relegated or sold to someone else.  The i7 920 was in iffy shape to begin with, so I wouldn't have wanted to sell it or give it away but I still could've found a use for it if I'd wanted to.

9 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Maybe it just me but when I look at 2.53GHZ, I don't think that it as fast as my i5 4690..... Unless I'm missing something.

Server processors don't work in the same way that consumer processors do. They offer more grunt, despite their slower clock speeds.

10 minutes ago, warwagon said:

thats better than my 2600k i7 mate. 95~W at 5ghz clock, stock 3.4ghz, your 12Mb L2 aint ye? the 2600 is 8Mb. would make a fairly decent 1080p gamesbox with a 970 upwards card.

3 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

Server processors don't work in the same way that consumer processors do. They offer more grunt, despite their slower clock speeds.

They're designed for intensive workloads for applications that run on servers, not for running games. Also ECC has higher latency than non-ECC memory.

5 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

Ehh that's not a real good way to put it... They typically have larger cache/cores, so multi-threaded apps/databases can execute more jobs/transactions at once without I/O being at 100% (hopefully) depending on storage/memory capacity/speed.