'White, male, Christian able-bodied and straight' students are told 'to check their privilege' in poster campaign

Outrage at North Carolina college as 'white, male, Christian able-bodied and straight' students are told 'to check their privilege' in poster campaign

* Students protest imposition of political viewpoint in campus dorm
* 'Check your privilege' campaign originated in San Francisco, where university professors handed out fliers with a message gone viral
* Goal of the movement is to raise awareness over 'societal structures of inequality'
* Earlier this year, over 1,500 students from across the country gathered for 'White Privilege Conference' aimed at 'dismantling white supremacy'

By Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:51 EST, 19 August 2016  | Updated: 22:24 EST, 19 August 2016

A North Carolina university became embroiled in controversy on Friday after a student group posted a 'privilege board' on campus which calls on white, male, able-bodied, Christian, or cisgender people to 'check their privilege.'

Students at Appalachian State University notice the board when they enter Plemmons Student Union, a major campus hub that has allowed the incendiary board to remain in place since last semester.

The board's existence, which was first reported last year by the web site Campus Reform, has conservatives outraged over what they perceive as the singling out of one religious group as well as the imposition of a political point of view on unsuspecting students.

The board first surfaced last year in a residence hall, but now it has been placed in a more prominent location with greater exposure to students.

3768961C00000578-3749726-image-a-1_1471641699707.jpg

Rage further at,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3749726/Campus-outrage-North-Carolina-White-male-able-bodied-Christian-students-Appalachian-State-told-check-privilege-controversial-bulletin-board.html

Edited by Andrew

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; 
Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; 
Who substitute bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

So if I don't have to think about crossing the street, does that make crossing the street a privilege? What about swallowing? Am I privileged cause my eyes blink involuntarily?

• Like 2

At my school, there's a small, but very vocal group that likes to talk about "white privilege".

The group is entirely black, but is the minority of minority, because even the majority of black students disagree with them.

Anyway, I think that this is a very similar group: the very vocal minority of the minority

It would be inappropriate to think that such group represents the school or the majority of its students.

Edited by illegaloperation

10 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

So if I don't have to think about crossing the street, does that make crossing the street a privilege? What about swallowing? Am I privileged cause my eyes blink involuntarily?

Is your street social power in which you are part of the dominant social group? If so, then why yes it would be. /s

Surely you're just being obtuse on purpose, and actually know that what you said, is not what they meant.. I mean.. they define privilege in the image linked..

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Is your street social power in which you are part of the dominant social group? If so, then why yes it would be. /s

Surely you're just being obtuse on purpose, and actually know that what you said, is not what they meant.. I mean.. they define privilege in the image linked..

Indeed, but the whole concept of "if you don't have to think about it" is in and of itself fallacious and impossible to argue against. Because no matter what, if you don't have to think about the fact that you have something or can do something that automatically makes you a member of the privileged.

They are attempting to redefine what privilege is and make it fit their narrow special circumstances which conveniently exclude people they deem don't deserve it. Apparently, being "white" affords me privileges I didn't earn... which is convenient cause I can't control what my skin color is. It's amazing how we've inverted on these issues, that if you fit some kind of norm then you are automatically a part of the "power" that everyone inherently must struggle against and hate. And even better, if you don't notice it you're part of the problem.

I see no purpose served by redefining these terms in an effort to demonize people for even the smallest of results of their own circumstances.

@Emn1ty

I took ethnic study classes as they are required electives.

There were many experiments that show that being black is actually a disadvantage.

One that we did is to put on the internet postings looking for jobs.

The rèsumès were similar, but the difference is that some have white-sounding names (English, German, Irish, Italian, whatever) while the others have black-sounding (African) names.

Anyway, guess which ones got 20% more callbacks?

...but I do agree that it is wrong to talk about "white privilege". It is more appropriate to talk about "black disadvantage".

Edited by illegaloperation
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Or breathing for that matter. I guess breathing is a privilege. 

A poster encouraging people to think and raising awareness that caucasoids have historically been given advantages and given much more respect than minorities (and often still do in some areas like the south of the U.S.) is controversial? The truth shouldn't be controversial.

African-Americans are more likely to be pulled over for no apparent reason at all in traffic.

They get longer prison sentences compared to caucasoid persons.

They are less likely to get proper legal representation and get saddled with the worst of the worst lawyers.

They are incarcerated in the absolute most vile prisons while caucasoid convicts are often able to be housed at a more humane (relatively speaking, as all jails and prisons have inhumane conditions) medium security facility where they won't be forced to bunk with a sexual predator that sexually assaults them systemically until they are nothing but a shell. 

They are more likely to be shot dead by law enforcement than caucasoids being detained are...

They are more likely to not receive adequate medical care because of being thrown away to live in inadequate housing in an underserved area of a major city. 

Caucasoids are more likely to be given scholarships and admittance to ivy league universities. And also more likely to be invited into fraternities which gives them additional privileges in their post-graduate lives. 

Women are paid less than men for the same work and this is still legal thanks to stonewalling of legislation by conservatives.

GLBTQI persons still do not have the same civil rights protections as other disenfranchised classes and is oten not prosecuted as a hate crime when violence is done against them by anti-GLBTQI persons. 

In everyday language, people often will refer to heterosexuals as 'normal,' implying that there is something wrong with being G/L/B/T/Q/I. 

In multi-player games, GLBTQI persons have to deal with a torrent of systemic harassment and death threats whereas heterosexuals do not have to endure this for their sexuality. 

Non-Christians rarely get elected even to the state legislature, and in some areas like the southern U.S. they almost never even get elected to city councils. 

Not all businesses make their business accessible to wheelchair bound persons. And whenever someone makes jokes about the disabled there is still not enough condemnation about it from others. Also, conservative elected officials try to put up new roadblocks to make life more difficult for SSI non-SSI disabled recipients of public assistance, and insult them by implying ugly things about them. 

And those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. 

Edited by DeusProto
  • Like 2

Yeah, they're forcing this garbage down our throats too at my College. Not even at the end of my first year yet, and they're indoctrinating us on all of this junk already. And this material is required if we want to pass our Courses. Nobody even cares what Social Responsibility is in the Class. We've got other stuff to worry about.

sigh ... It's very, very sad when none of us are going to School for degrees in Social Responsibility but we're forced to do modules on that junk anyway. This next Class, I'm convinced, is going to try turning me Vegan -- all in the guise of Creative Writing (another required class). All part of the "mighty brainwashing scheme". Sorry folks, but cooked animals are tasty.

And @DeusProto ... the Walkers ate your brain? Darn it. :no: We shall avenge you.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

A poster encouraging people to think and raising awareness that caucasoids have historically been given advantages and given much more respect than minorities (and often still do in some areas like the south of the U.S.) is controversial? The truth shouldn't be controversial.

And you know what? We <bleep>ing earned that privilege, with 1000's of years of conflict, poverty, religious subjugation and slavery. Why should we be ashamed over what we have fought through to our relative posterity now?  If any of these mindless cretins ever try to tackle me with their moronic flyers and deeply offensive attitudes, they'll be checking their own privileges in the emergency room, seeing how long it takes a doctor to remove my foot from their backsides.

^^ This. My Ancestry is Welsh, followed by German and Native American. No one who comes from the United Kingdom, Ireland, or anywhere in Europe is anything like what SJW's make us out to be. Privilege, huh? Pfft. Whatever. We had to fight and scratch our way out of the Dark Ages, and survive being conquered by Ancient Rome before that. Those who survived were Slaves.

So to anyone who forgot history, there's your refresher.

46 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

African-Americans are more likely to be pulled over for no apparent reason at all in traffic.

They get longer prison sentences compared to caucasoid persons.

They are less likely to get proper legal representation and get saddled with the worst of the worst lawyers.

They are incarcerated in the absolute most vile prisons while caucasoid convicts are often able to be housed at a more humane (relatively speaking, as all jails and prisons have inhumane conditions) medium security facility where they won't be forced to bunk with a sexual predator that sexually assaults them systemically until they are nothing but a shell. 

They are more likely to be shot dead by law enforcement than caucasoids being detained are...

They are more likely to not receive adequate medical care because of being thrown away to live in inadequate housing in an underserved area of a major city. 

Caucasoids are more likely to be given scholarships and admittance to ivy league universities. And also more likely to be invited into fraternities which gives them additional privileges in their post-graduate lives. 

Women are paid less than men for the same work and this is still legal thanks to stonewalling of legislation by conservatives.

GLBTQI persons still do not have the same civil rights protections as other disenfranchised classes and is oten not prosecuted as a hate crime when violence is done against them by anti-GLBTQI persons. 

In everyday language, people often will refer to heterosexuals as 'normal,' implying that there is something wrong with being G/L/B/T/Q/I. 

In multi-player games, GLBTQI persons have to deal with a torrent of systemic harassment and death threats whereas heterosexuals do not have to endure this for their sexuality. 

Non-Christians rarely get elected even to the state legislature, and in some areas like the southern U.S. they almost never even get elected to city councils. 

Not all businesses make their business accessible to wheelchair bound persons. And whenever someone makes jokes about the disabled there is still not enough condemnation about it from others. Also, conservative elected officials try to put up new roadblocks to make life more difficult for SSI non-SSI disabled recipients of public assistance, and insult them by implying ugly things about them. 

And those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. 

Yeah and young black males make up roughly 7% of the population of the US yet are responsible for nearly 50% of all crime IN THE US.

I WONDER WHY THEY GET HARSHER TREATMENT.

It's almost like you're only paying attention to half the story. Statistics and facts be damned.

And then you bring up the gender wage gap, which has been factually debunked countless times. Do you want people to take you seriously? I'm guessing not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Yeah and young black males make up roughly 7% of the population of the US and yet are responsible for nearly 50% of all crime IN THE US.

I WONDER WHY THEY GET HARSHER TREATMENT.

Not quite 80% is more accurate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

re: women

The Glass Ceiling could've been a relevant concept some 30-40 years. It's surely not the case now.

Yes. Especially if you look at statistics of who is attending and graduating from higher education. The overwhelming majority are women.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Not quite 80% is more accurate.

Maybe the statistic I'm remembering was just for murder. They're responsible for 50% of murders in the US.

1 hour ago, illegaloperation said:

@Emn1ty

I took ethnic study classes as they are required electives.

There were many experiments that show that being black is actually a disadvantage.

One that we did is to put on the internet postings looking for jobs.

The rèsumès were similar, but the difference is that some have white-sounding names (English, German, Irish, Italian, whatever) while the others have black-sounding (African) names.

Anyway, guess which ones got 20% more callbacks?

...but I do agree that it is wrong to talk about "white privilege". It is more appropriate to talk about "black disadvantage".

I wonder what would have happened had the location of the experiment had been changed to an African metropolis area, and or same test with all races in their corresponding main population zones.