Is the win 10 free upgrade still available now?

Hi guys. I will be most likely formatting my cousin laptop by this week or next week.

He got windows 7 on it and didn't do the upgrade. Just wondering if Microsoft still allow the free upgrade to windows 10.

Thanks,

Upgrading with a Windows 10 ISO seems to automatically activate Windows 10 too, as does doing a clean Windows 10 install using a Windows 7 or 8 key. (This is on a device which has never had Windows 10 installed)

I'm not sure how long that will work for, however my friend upgraded a device last week and the above still worked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deep1234 said:

So it is possible that it will work. Thanks,

Yes just do an in place upgrade with the iso of the same edition and then either enter the windows key in the settings app from the sticker if its very old or use a program like produkey to recover it from the bios/firmware.

5 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

You can but beware that it not legal.

Yes it is, you have a valid licence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TPreston said:

Yes it is, you have a valid licence.

I'm not going to argue with you because the free upgrade has ended on July 29th. Beyond that if anyone has managed to upgrade for free would have committed a form of piracy.

4 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

You can but beware that it not legal.

It's not illegal, at the most it's a grey area.

The gwx promotion has ended, however the servers are still activating Windows 10 installs from Windows 7 or 8 keys, the same as has been happening since July 2015.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danielx64 said:

I'm not going to argue with you because the free upgrade has ended on July 29th. Beyond that if anyone has managed to upgrade for free would have committed a form of piracy.

Then I guess every new enterprise/business pc with 7 installed that's imaged with Windows 10 is also piracy by the same logic.

The dialog says its genuine windows activated with a digital entitlement =  its genuine windows activated with a digital entitlement.

If a clean Windows 10 iso doesn't work by activating from the Windows 7 key, you should try this method https://www.neowin.net/news/free-windows-10-upgrade-offer-has-ended-but-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade or you are out of luck. You will need to install Windows 7 first to do the trick from the link though.

3 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Then I guess every new enterprise/business pc with 7 installed that's imaged with Windows 10 is also piracy by the same logic.

Enterprise and Professional volume licenses are excluded from the free upgrade deal so your point is mulled.

6 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Enterprise and Professional volume licenses are excluded from the free upgrade deal so your point is mulled.

Not VL. There are devices still being produced with windows 7 installed by your logic when we image them to 10 that's piracy.

The dialog says its genuine windows activated with a digital entitlement =  its genuine windows activated with a digital entitlement.

Simple;

Please stay on topic, Microsoft still appears to be activating Windows 10 through the old method (without the Get Windows 10 app) so hardly illegal if it is still open/working and activating through Microsoft. The guy isn't talking about Enterprise or Volume licensing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Please stay on topic, Microsoft still appears to be activating Windows 10 through the old method (without the Get Windows 10 app) so hardly illegal if it is still open/working and activating through Microsoft.

But it still a grey area though right? Also just because Microsoft hasn't closed up the system fully it doesn't mean that it is legal. Example: the accessibility offer that been running may rely on the same activation system that being used.

The free upgrade to the public has now ended

However... you can still get a free upgrade from this official method from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

This does work perfectly, and they don't even check to see if you actually use any assisted technologies.

I used this two days ago and It just installs a normal version of windows 10 home.

9 minutes ago, Darkmiss said:

The free upgrade to the public has now ended

However... you can still get a free upgrade from this official method from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

This does work perfectly, and they don't even check to see if you actually use any assisted technologies.

I used this two days ago and It just installs a normal version of windows 10 home.

2 minutes ago, richardsim7 said:

Exactly, the above method is perfectly legal. Hell, I use Magnifier all the time because I have a massive 4K screen and can't see tiny text :)

Again you are entering an area that not entirely legal. Unless you really have the need to use assisted technologies you really don't have the right to use that loophole. It like parking in a disabled parking space when you don't have a passenger who use a wheelchair.

34 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Wrong, only the enterprise SKU is excluded because it requires Software Assurance anyway. The Pro SKU is eligible for the upgrade (there's even a form to declare how many Win7/8 Pro desktops you have and mark them as upgraded in Microsoft's VL portal )

Just now, Arkos Reed said:

Wrong, only the enterprise SKU is excluded because it requires Software Assurance anyway. The Pro SKU is eligible for the upgrade (there's even a form to declare how many Win7/8 Pro desktops you have and mark them as upgraded in Microsoft's VL portal )

Wait: are the volume licenses for windows 7 pro valid for a legal upgrade? I never seen such a form in our VL portal.....