Burger King, KFC and others fail in study on antibiotic use

Burger King, KFC and more than a dozen other big fast food chains are still earning failing grades for their antibiotics policies, according to a new report compiled by various groups including the Consumers Union and the Natural Resources Defense Council.

The practice of giving antibiotics to farm animals, commercial farmers say, is to help promote the animals' growth and keep them free of diseases in increasingly crowded spaces. But it has also been linked--in conjunction with physicians who over-prescribe antibiotics to patients-- to the development of drug-resistant pathogens. According to the report, those pathogens then sicken around two million Americans every year. Approximately 20,000 people die each year as a result.

The “report card,” issued by a coalition that includes the Natural Resources Defense Council, Food Animal Concerns Trust and the Center for Food Safety, lists 25 restaurant chains among the largest purchasers of beef and poultry in the U.S.

Only two of those chains – Panera and Chipotle – were rated as “A” for their current antibiotics policies.

full story

19 hours ago, cork1958 said:

So that's why I see all those chicken commercials promoting NOT using antibiotics? Hadn't researched that at all, but now I know a little about it.

Several poultry growers have quit using antibiotics and gone back to an old-school method: rosemary and oregano oils in the birds food or water. There have been studies since 2012 showing them active against salmonella and E. coli.

I feel so superior only eating at local, independent fast food places! ... that probably have far less oversight and standards than a national chain...

It is the franchise's responsibility to ensure that the meat they purchase meets the standards they say they are providing. They should review their purchasing divisions. Or stop marketing if they do not check things up.

Off have a personal relationship with your food by raising & growing as much as possible yourself. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tastes better. 

And chicken eggs are put to shame by duck eggs. Yummmm....

On 25/09/2016 at 8:50 AM, DocM said:

Off have a personal relationship with your food by raising & growing as much as possible yourself. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tastes better. 

And chicken eggs are put to shame by duck eggs. Yummmm....

Agreed,  And home grown corn, fresh off the stalk and served with butter made whilst the corn was cooking.. OMG... (Yes, I grow my own veg, and butter takes 5 mins in the stand mixer!)

On 9/25/2016 at 2:42 AM, Zagadka said:

I feel so superior only eating at local, independent fast food places! ... that probably have far less oversight and standards than a national chain...

Watch 'Kitchen Nightmares' :shifty:

On 9/24/2016 at 11:42 PM, Zagadka said:

We're so impressed and proud of you.

• Like 1