Xbox One S - 4k UHD Bluray - Belive the hype

Just watched my first 4k UHDs on Xbox One S, 60" Samsung 4k UHD. Sicario and Life of PI, believe the hype. Beautiful picture and sound. Life of Pi has some sync issues, not sure if that was a mastering defect or what. Sicario was perfect.

HDR is fantastic but I don't think many understand what it does. The wider dynamic range and color space makes colors and transitions more natural. Everything looks much more realistic from skin tones to the sky and clouds. Truly amazing visuals. I can only imagine what the quantum dot HDR1000s look like.

Good job MS. With this quality, I may pass on some movies and wait for the UHD Bluray.

From what I understand unless you have an HDR setup, you can't actually see HDR.

That or an in-store demo. No advertising / youtube video's will be able to "show" you HDR.

1 minute ago, Eternal Tempest said:

From what I understand unless you have an HDR setup, you can't actually see HDR.

That or an in-store demo. No advertising / youtube video's will be able to "show" you HDR.

There are reasons for that - YouTube isn't set up for it, existing BD content will need remastering (not cheap to do), etc.

The very reason in-store demos ARE set up to do it is due to the remastering of the content to take advantage of the TV's features - the same applies to "canned" demos stored within the TV itself (standard operating procedure since HDTV debuted).

That is, if anything, the only surprising lack (especially given that Dolby Atmos is even supported by Android tablets - such as the Lenovo Tab2 and Tab3 (in every size) as standard)  Can it be added via software support?  (That is a fair question - as earlier Dolby capabilities (from Dolby Stereo to Dolby Digital - on both the decoding AND encoding fronts - COULD be added in via software - either an add-in program or a patch, if the hardware supported such.)

55 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

To my knowledge you are correct.

FWIW, the Samsung's will do a notification whenever there is an HDR source. The Forza Horizon 3 Demo is not using HDR.

1 hour ago, MorganX said:

Just watched my first 4k UHDs on Xbox One S, 60" Samsung 4k UHD. Sicario and Life of PI, believe the hype. Beautiful picture and sound. Life of Pi has some sync issues, not sure if that was a mastering defect or what. Sicario was perfect.

HDR is fantastic but I don't think many understand what it does. The wider dynamic range and color space makes colors and transitions more natural. Everything looks much more realistic from skin tones to the sky and clouds. Truly amazing visuals. I can only imagine what the quantum dot HDR1000s look like.

Good job MS. With this quality, I may pass on some movies and wait for the UHD Bluray.

They DO exist - and from Samsung no less; they start at 50" (diagonal measure) and with SRPs of $1699USD and up.  The price is darn reasonable; my issue is that it's too big for most of the house (yes; even 50" is too big for most rooms in the house - the biggest bedroom TV is 40", and the biggest TV elsewhere is only three years old).

13 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

They DO exist - and from Samsung no less; they start at 50" (diagonal measure) and with SRPs of $1699USD and up.  The price is darn reasonable; my issue is that it's too big for most of the house (yes; even 50" is too big for most rooms in the house - the biggest bedroom TV is 40", and the biggest TV elsewhere is only three years old).

You can get 55inch qdots for under 1400....

On 9/24/2016 at 7:23 PM, PGHammer said:

You can get a 50" Vizio M-Series that supports HDR for $850 or half the price of the Samsung.

I don't think 4k HDR TVs do go below 50" though so if you're looking for something smaller I'm not sure if you have any options.

I'm thinking of replacing my 40" Samsung with the Vizio P-Series 55" for 4k and HDR and even that is only $1300.

And those prices are straight from the Vizio website, you may be able to get them on sale for even less.

I have a 42" TV atm, but I'll replace it at some point, I just spent a good chunk of money to build this new PC though so the TV will have to wait till next year.  Still, whatever I do end up getting, it'll be 55" at the least, my goal is for a nice 60".

On 9/26/2016 at 3:24 PM, Asmodai said:

You can get a 50" Vizio M-Series that supports HDR for $850 or half the price of the Samsung.

I don't think 4k HDR TVs do go below 50" though so if you're looking for something smaller I'm not sure if you have any options.

I'm thinking of replacing my 40" Samsung with the Vizio P-Series 55" for 4k and HDR and even that is only $1300.

And those prices are straight from the Vizio website, you may be able to get them on sale for even less.

Not only do they go below 50", they drop all the way down to 40" - from Samsung, Sony, and Vizio, to name just three.

Vizio - https://www.vizio.com/tvs/d40ud1.html

Sony - http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x800d-series

(two series at the foot - 43" and 49")

Samsung - http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/40-class-ku6300-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un40ku6300fxza/

There is also the curved UN40K6250 that is being closed out by Walmart.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Followup - the price drops keep coming.

SAMSUNG 40" - 40MU 6 series $399 at Best Buy (availability - now); Wal-Mart - $328USD ((Black Friday ad - starts 11/16))

The 6 series is where HDR becomes available size-wise in that size-factor; further the 6 series includes both the Tizen-OS-driven Smart TV features and wi-fi.