Proposed Upgrade

I am looking to update my system, as my current system just isn't cutting it. Ask Unobscured_Vision if you need details.

I thought, why not update, trying to beat these road blocks.

I can carry a lot over. 2x SSD, EVGA 960, Thermaltake 750W, FractalDesign Define R5 case, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (think that's compatible with 1151)

I need a Motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Motherboard, I'm not so wise. I think I need 1151 for 6th Gen CPU's, right? I know ASUS and Gigabyte are good, but which chipset is better? I don't plan to OC, so that won't be big letdown. Mid-ATX? ITX? What's good out there?

For CPU, I am planning on something like an i3. 6100 or 6300, maybe? I don't need that much power. Ask me why i ever needed this i5 3570K... As said above, I think my Hyper 212 Evo is still compatible. (Previously had an i3 2100)

As for RAM, I'll need a new set for DDR4. I see a lot of brands out there. I know G.Skill Ripjaws to be the best. Since ~2005, I always bought them. Had a mishap with one new chip, but RMA was easy :) I want to have the same capacity I had here, 16GB. What do those "few dollars more" mean, anyway?

Newegg or Amazon, choose your weapon. :p My budget is around $300. Little more, little less, whatever I need to get the best but cheapest.

I plan to get this stuff a month or two down the road. Don't try to trick me with the newest stuff. Unless I can get a good deal off it.

i think you are better off just overclocking your third gen core cpu: i5-3570k to 4.5ghz or so than buying/using i3-6100 to 6300...

otherwise, save some more and get 6th gen i5-6600k +asus z170 mobo + 16GB DDR4-2400 or better (or 7th gen i5-7600k + asus Z270 mobo, if and when available already)

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Sorry - enjoy your sandcastle.

1 hour ago, atcapistrano said:

i think you are better off just overclocking your third gen core cpu: i5-3570k to 4.5ghz or so than buying/using i3-6100 to 6300...

otherwise, save some more and get 6th gen i5-6600k +asus z170 mobo + 16GB DDR4-2400 or better (or 7th gen i5-7600k + asus Z270 mobo, if and when available already)

I don't "need" all that extra juice or that OCing. THAT is not my problem. My board is. As I saw, there aren't many 1155 motherboards left.

53 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Well - if it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay within your budget... knock yourself out - I hope it opens minesweeper faster.

After all, what can I possibly say to someone who buys Thermaltake PSUs and thinks G.Skill Ripjaw are the best  ?

I ask support and I get fanboyism, good job.

You could tell me X is better than Y. I'd actually believe you guys. But I have had at least 7 sets of these Ripjaws throughout the years. I know they work.

And as far as the PSU, it was recommended that by you guys....

Im sure the only way someone recommended a Thermaltake PSU was because you must have mentioned a small budget - because they are not good.
Just because you own something, even multiple somethings without problems - does not make that something the best...

Regardless - if you're interested:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1309696-dell-inspiron-660-desktop-free/

Well first off, how can we recommend a worthy upgrade if you won't state what your current system struggles with? I'm not going to pm another member to ask about your systems faults. If you can bother to post that it would help. 

8 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Im sure the only way someone recommended a Thermaltake PSU was because you must have mentioned a small budget - because they are not good.
Just because you own something, even multiple somethings without problems - does not make that something the best...

Regardless - if you're interested:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1309696-dell-inspiron-660-desktop-free/

Bad? I've had it for 1.5 years. No trouble. And I heard they were top notch.

11 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Well first off, how can we recommend a worthy upgrade if you won't state what your current system struggles with? I'm not going to pm another member to ask about your systems faults. If you can bother to post that it would help. 

I hoped that he would reply here, but anyway... It is having a problem with UEFI loading. I tried Debian, Mint, and it wouldn't work with USB or UEFI. It would give me a blank screen. nomodset wouldn't do anything. I did however get Ubuntu working with it.

15 minutes ago, Hum said:

I thought Newegg was generally more expensive than other sellers.

Where you been? Amazon is usually at par with them. Or even TigerDirect...

• Like 1

It might be my hangover, but I'm failing to understand why you need to upgrade if even the core i5 you have is enough.  You're going to go from an i5 that's faster (in multi threaded programs) to an i3.  Can you be more specific about what you think your current computer needs?  Faster QuickSync?  Better single thread performance?  DDR4?  Lower power draw?

44 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Where you been? Amazon is usually at par with them. Or even TigerDirect...

I have switched over to Amazon several times, after seeing Newegg higher prices.

29 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

It might be my hangover, but I'm failing to understand why you need to upgrade if even the core i5 you have is enough.  You're going to go from an i5 that's faster (in multi threaded programs) to an i3.  Can you be more specific about what you think your current computer needs?  Faster QuickSync?  Better single thread performance?  DDR4?  Lower power draw?

First sentence made me laugh... :laugh: I don't need a better CPU, or more performance. I need a newer board than my ~2013 (made in) one. Also, I look around, there is not that many 1155 boards available. I thought upgrading to 1151 would be a good choice. Better updated hardware. And 3rd gen CPU's are, to say the least, old?

5 minutes ago, Hum said:

I have switched over to Amazon several times, after seeing Newegg higher prices.

I live by sales and MIR. Maybe your just looking at expensive hardware? :huh:

Im glad Im not the only one who sees all of the problems with this thread.

Mindover - YES  Thermaltake PSU are crap, when compared to the top manufacturers.

For the 100000th time - It doesnt matter if you have owned 10 and they all worked OK.
You need to look @ the big picture, - and Thermaltake (most of them) are absolute garbage.  As for the ones that arent absolute garbage THERE IS NO REASON to buy them when you have more reliable manufacturers (Corsair, Seasonic, etc..

Anecdotal evidence can tell a very small bit of info.

You need to rethink this whole "I have no money but need to get a new board" thread - so I wont bother you with the PSU reliability details - just remember that Thermaltake shouldnt be on your top 5 list... infact I dont know anyone on here that would build a system with a Thermaltake PSU if they (1) Knew what they were doing (2) Didnt have a serious budget issue.

G. Skill are good - but no better than any of the large, name brand sticks from Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair, etc - I have used them in builds for other people when budget is an issue - when someone wants "top notch" - again, wouldnt be on my top5 list.

Im not trying to be an ass, I am trying to give you better info.
If someone has convinced you, with bad info, it is the duty of those who know better to set you on the right path.  Because you buying 2nd and 3rd rate products isnt the real danger - the real danger is you passing on bad info.

I am not trying to be an ass and mock you for your budget - I just dont like seeing people buy crap products/brands.  (note: I never said G. Skill was crap - just said it wasnt "the best") -  Acer anything and Thermaltake PSU are crap.

First sentence made me laugh... :laugh: I don't need a better CPU, or more performance. I need a newer board than my ~2013 (made in) one. Also, I look around, there is not that many 1155 boards available. I thought upgrading to 1151 would be a good choice. Better updated hardware. And 3rd gen CPU's are, to say the least, old?

I just bought an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 a while ago to replace my Z68 Gigabyte.  The only reason I bought it was for RAM compatibility.  It has been one of the most stable motherboards I've ever used.  You can still find them but they are kinda pricey now.

Why did my PSU EVER matter in this scenario? I'm not changing it.

Are you trying to say that my PSU is gunna blow up my new system? Can you give me examples that it is bad, other than your word of mouth? Could it possibly that brand is good, but a certain series was bad? Maybe?

Edit: They say my PSU was made by CWT. That made most of the Corsair PSU.

RAM is RAM imho. It's made of the same thing. It's just company barter. "I'm better than X and Y because I support Windows 10!" "I can overclock easier than X"

4 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

I just bought an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 a while ago to replace my Z68 Gigabyte.  The only reason I bought it was for RAM compatibility.  It has been one of the most stable motherboards I've ever used.  You can still find them but they are kinda pricey now.

Yes, hence the reason... It may be fine for you. Great. It is not for me.

Edited by Mindovermaster

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

RAM is RAM imho. It's made of the same thing. It's just company barter. "I'm better than X and Y because I support Windows 10!" "I can overclock easier than X"

Yes, hence the reason... It may be fine for you. Great. It is not for me.

OK it's not for you but you just said you needed a newer board.  Now I'm really confused.  WHY do you need a newer board?

I am looking to update my system, as my current system just isn't cutting it.

I don't "need" all that extra juice or that OCing. THAT is not my problem. My board is. As I saw, there aren't many 1155 motherboards left.

I hoped that he would reply here, but anyway... It is having a problem with UEFI loading. I tried Debian, Mint, and it wouldn't work with USB or UEFI. It would give me a blank screen. nomodset wouldn't do anything. I did however get Ubuntu working with it.

I had to read this thread three times to finally understand.  You need a new MB for Linux compatibility... even though you got Ubuntu to work.  If Ubuntu works I don't see why Mint wouldn't.  I know the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 supports Linux as I've loaded it (mint) before and everything was fine.  But it seems you're set on a downgrade to get Linux to work. Even though it's working.  If I were you, I'd try to get my current hardware to load Mint or whatever instead of wasting money on a downgrade that may or may not work for what you need.  If anything, you'd want an older MB for Linux with just the old BIOS, not a newer one.   My two crappy cents.

2 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

I had to read this thread three times to finally understand.  You need a new MB for Linux compatibility... even though you got Ubuntu to work.  If Ubuntu works I don't see why Mint wouldn't.  I know the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 supports Linux as I've loaded it (mint) before and everything was fine.  But it seems you're set on a downgrade to get Linux to work. Even though it's working.  If I were you, I'd try to get my current hardware to load Mint or whatever instead of wasting money on a downgrade that may or may not work for what you need.  If anything, you'd want an older MB for Linux with just the old BIOS, not a newer one.   My two crappy cents.

I can install Mint, but the thing is, that when I install the NVIDIA drivers, and restart, I get a blank screen. Ubuntu works, yes, but I am not a Ubuntu fan. It was the only thing that I could load without road blocks. I'm more of a straight Debian guy. Not something "based off".

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I can install Mint, but the thing is, that when I install the NVIDIA drivers, and restart, I get a blank screen. Ubuntu works, yes, but I am not a Ubuntu fan. It was the only thing that I could load without road blocks. I'm more of a straight Debian guy. Not something "based off".

Well ######.  I'm not that into Linux to help with driver issues.  You might have to start looking into the best MBs for Linux and its variants.  I'd still try and solve the issue without buying new hardware, if you can.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I was talking about the same model CPU, motherboard, etc.

Newegg has tended to be higher, over the years.

1 minute ago, Open Minded said:

Well ######.  I'm not that into Linux to help with driver issues.  You might have to start looking into the best MBs for Linux and its variants.  I'd still try and solve the issue without buying new hardware, if you can.

I tried talking this over with @Unobscured Vision. He is lost on ideas. We looked at this high and low.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I tried talking this over with @Unobscured Vision. He is lost on ideas. We looked at this high and low.

Yes, sadly. BIOS upgrades that could have potentially solved problems weren't available, so it's time for a new board -- which means new hardware to fill those necessary slots. In so doing will come modern UEFI Firmware that should eliminate those issues, but it'll be a learning curve. I don't currently use a UEFI-based board; but I'll be upgrading in the near future to something that does and I'll need to know this information too.

I plan to be there every step of the way, helping out like I always do. :yes: 

6 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yes, sadly. BIOS upgrades that could have potentially solved problems weren't available, so it's time for a new board -- which means new hardware to fill those necessary slots. In so doing will come modern UEFI Firmware that should eliminate those issues, but it'll be a learning curve. I don't currently use a UEFI-based board; but I'll be upgrading in the near future to something that does and I'll need to know this information too.

I plan to be there every step of the way, helping out like I always do. :yes: 

I own a board that is UEFI-based (ASUS Z97-C) so if there anything you want to know feel free to ask :)

• Like 1

Just now, Danielx64 said:

I own a board that is UEFI-based (ASUS Z97-C) so if there anything you want to know feel free to ask :)

Thank you kindly. :) Pretty sure once I bear in mind that I need to use the UEFI images and/or UEFI-mode when installing DIstros things should be fine. There's some kind of compatibility setting that I need to enable in the UEFI Setup to allow things to work, iirc, along with disabling 'Secure Boot" as well. I think?