Ohio police arrest woman for OVI twice in 6 hours

STREETSBORO, Ohio-- A Ravenna woman is facing charges for operating a vehicle under the influence after officers pulled her over twice in the same day.

Streetsboro police received a call about an erratic driver at about 9:25 a.m. Tuesday. Officers found the car on state Route 43 near state Route 14.

“In 21 years, I don’t recall anyone ever being arrested twice in the same day for OVI,” said Streetsboro Lt. Patricia Wain.

The driver, Dawn Kvasnicka, 48, of Ravenna, was given a field sobriety test. In the dash cam video, she's seen falling onto the back bumper of her car.

"I think we're done," the officer said before putting the woman into the cruiser. "I think we've done everything we can do."

According to police, Kvasnicka showed signs of impairment and was taken to the department.

Her blood-alcohol level was at .371. Ohio's legal limit is .08. Kvasnicka was charged with OVI and released to a friend.

At about 2:47 p.m. on Tuesday, the police department received another report of a car traveling erratically. Kvasnicka was pulled over on state Route 303.

Police said she still showed signs of impairment. This time, her blood-alcohol content was .383.

“Clearly she couldn’t be trusted to stay off the road,” Wain said.

Kvasnicka was charged with her second OVI of the day and taken to the Portage County Jail.

She pleaded not guilty to the OVI charges, but is also facing fifth-degree felony drug charges for attempting to enter the jail with some sort of illegal substance.

Police call the entire situation is scary and also sad. They said they hope she gets the help she may need.

They’re also grateful good Samaritans noticed the dangerous driving and called 911 in both incidents that day before Kvasnicka injured herself or someone else.  The roads she traveled were very busy and also close to the local schools.

“If they hand’t called and taken the action they did,” Wain said. “We could’ve been looking at a tragedy.”

http://fox8.com/2016/09/22/streetsboro-police-arrest-woman-for-ovi-twice-in-6-hours/

No way would someone here get released after a DIU.  You're going to the drunk tank to sober up...

5 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

What happened to DUI, or are they different?

Same thing.  In Ohio it's called OVI. (Operating a Vehicle under Influence)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ctebah said:

No way would someone here get released after a DIU.  You're going to the drunk tank to sober up...

She was released to her friend. Cops can not let her go alone unless she is sober up after a few hours rest or someone drive her home. So her friend came by to pick her up and drive her home but looks like she wanted to drive after she was released. So she got caught on second time on same day.

3 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

She was released to her friend. Cops can not let her go alone unless she is sober up after a few hours rest or someone drive her home. So her friend came by to pick her up and drive her home but looks like she wanted to drive after she was released. So she got caught on second time on same day.

Oh, I understand that part, just saying that here it's an automatic night in the slammer.

Different laws for difference states.  Arizona, 1st offense is 10 days in jail.  Stricter than several years ago.  Had a friend, who was an idiot, got busted for DUI.  Had to spent 3 days in tent city. But that was years ago.  Depending on the state, mandatory breathalyzer in a car, and cannot driver other vehicles without one, and some states there is a video camera installed as well.  Not 100 percent on the vid camera, just something a friend told me.  Arizona is the strictest state for DUI laws.  I lived there for 15 years.  Ohio, is the 47th.  Also, this lady wasnt convicted so she may still face jail time.  I am sure she will have to go in front of a judge at some point.

https://wallethub.com/edu/dui-penalties-by-state/13549/

Yeah - I think if she had a good attorney - she would have grounds in a case stating she shouldnt have been released that soon.

If she was 5x over - and it takes 1 hour (on average) for every ounce of alcohol to leave the body - she is looking @ 14 hours before she would be "sober" - (all based on law of averages)

The fact she was released so soon - the cops screwed up.

I am not saying she should sue - I am saying if it were me, I would have my attorney eating them for breakfast - and at the very least - getting a very lenient sentence when dealing with the DA and mentioning a possible suit of negligence against the department.
Because, thats how things work in the world of law -

it doesnt matter what is wrong or right - only thing that matters is how good your attorney is.

28 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Yeah - I think if she had a good attorney - she would have grounds in a case stating she shouldnt have been released that soon.

If she was 5x over - and it takes 1 hour (on average) for every ounce of alcohol to leave the body - she is looking @ 14 hours before she would be "sober" - (all based on law of averages)

The fact she was released so soon - the cops screwed up.

I am not saying she should sue - I am saying if it were me, I would have my attorney eating them for breakfast - and at the very least - getting a very lenient sentence when dealing with the DA and mentioning a possible suit of negligence against the department.
Because, thats how things work in the world of law -

it doesnt matter what is wrong or right - only thing that matters is how good your attorney is.

You sound like a terrible person.

Are you aware of how many lives she endangered? The last thing on her mind should be how to get out of it, let alone anyone else's mind. It very much matters what is wrong or right. Pulled over twice for such extreme negligence to life should see her in Jail for years for attempted vehicular manslaughter.

I do maintain a bias as two of my immediate family members (uncles) were killed due to drunk driving (one was drunk, one was hit by a drunk). Also my Mom was hit and very nearly killed (clinically dead) by a drunk driver when she was 9. So I do have some emotion involved, but regardless I think I'd post something relatively similar.

2 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Are you aware of how many lives she endangered? The last thing on her mind should be how to get out of it, let alone anyone else's mind. It very much matters what is wrong or right. Pulled over twice for such extreme negligence to life should see her in Jail for years for attempted vehicular manslaughter.

I do maintain a bias as two of my immediate family members (uncles) were killed due to drunk driving (one was drunk, one was hit by a drunk). Also my Mom was hit and very nearly killed (clinically dead) by a drunk driver when she was 9. So I do have some emotion involved, but regardless I think I'd post something relatively similar.

Each state is different.  Ohio is one of the most lenient states.  Nothing TEXAS said was bad or made him out to be a bad person.  People have good lawyers and get off on ###### they shouldnt.  How the judicial system works.  Dont hate the player, hate the game.

15 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Each state is different.  Ohio is one of the most lenient states.  Nothing TEXAS said was bad or made him out to be a bad person.  People have good lawyers and get off on ###### they shouldnt.  How the judicial system works.  Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Being a good or bad person is not mutually exclusive to obeying or disobeying the law.

2 hours ago, ctebah said:

Here (MI) it's Operating While Impaired, and the agent is irrelevant. It could be weed, alcohol, prescription, illegal or over the counter drugs, inhalants, nitrous oxide whatever. Your ass is in deep excrement.

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

Here (MI) it's Operating While Impaired, and the agent is irrelevant. It could be weed, alcohol, prescription, illegal or over the counter drugs, inhalants, nitrous oxide whatever. Your ass is in a deep excrement.

A lot of states....does not matter how good your lawyer is either.  Ohio just happens to be one of the most lenient states.

1 hour ago, astropheed said:

OK - let me rephrase then -

I assure you, the first thing on her mind was not the well-being of everyone else.
It was either
(1) Where can I get my next drink?
or 
(2) How do I get out of this bind, then get my next drink?

My post did not say anything about the problems of drinking and driving - it was all about the police department shouldnt have let her out that fast.

If in some way - you misconstrued my comment as a "drunk driving is OK" - then, as you suggested, you are only reading what you wanted and interpreting in a flawed manner due to your own issues.

Nowhere did I elude to anything you mentioned.

I understand, and apparently you do as well, how personal feelings can make a person not understand what is being said/written/typed - but simple fact is - I didnt say what you are implying.

I am sometimes guilty of ASSuming people can read between the lines and understand what I am saying, without me spelling everything out - but many times I am forced to reiterate perfectly clear English.

Yes, drinking and driving is bad, YES it can endanger many people.
The fact I mentioned negligence SHOULD suggest there was a fault, and if there is a fault - there is something "wrong" - hence the departmert did something wrong (letting her out too early).  An....   oh to hell with it - you will only hear what you want to hear.

Don't worry Tex, -I- had no problem understanding what you meant, at all! I also agree with you.  Only the women herself is responsible for driving again whilst drunk, BUT, the cops who released her in that condition should also get a dressing down from the judge for letting her go in that condition.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, T3X4S said:

An....   oh to hell with it - you will only hear what you want to hear.

Perhaps. Because after re-reading your original post my initial assumption is still all I hear. 

I'm really trying.

8 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Perhaps. Because after re-reading your original post my initial assumption is still all I hear. 

I'm really trying.

Look at it from the point of view of what actually happens in US courts as opposed to what the letter of the law says. Sure, we all agree that she's a scumbag and deserves what she gets BUT, as US courts have proven time and time again, if you've got a hot lawyer, he can twist things around so that his client gets the minimum possible punishment, if any.  

In this case, the cops released her whilst still drunk, so any good lawyer (who's job is to get his client off), will put the blame on the cops for releasing her when she wasn't in any fit state to be released. Her judgement, which was already impaired enough that she chose to drive once already, was still impaired.

2 hours ago, astropheed said:

I'm really trying.

Trying what ?  You are the only one with comprehension issues in this thread.

I dont see what is so hard - you have my OP, you can read nowhere in there did I say anything you think I did.
Nobody else is having a problem with it.

Honestly, you can think Im terrible all you want - that doesnt bother me.  But, to think Im terrible for something you completely made up - that bothers me a little.

9 hours ago, astropheed said:

I understand were he is going with this in a round about way. This person should never have been released till she sobered up even to a friend.

• Like 1

Just now, sidroc said:

I understand were he is going with this in a round about way. This person should never have been released till she sobered up even to a friend.

Exactly, all I was saying was the police dept. is partly to blame.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ctebah said:

so its not "OVUI"?  which has french-esque sounding....

24 minutes ago, sidroc said:

i think she was released to a friend, got sober, and then celebrated her get out of jail card by drinking alcoholic beverage again... afterwards , she drove to find her friend to help her sober up...

10 hours ago, DocM said:

Here (MI) it's Operating While Impaired, and the agent is irrelevant. It could be weed, alcohol, prescription, illegal or over the counter drugs, inhalants, nitrous oxide whatever. Your ass is in deep excrement.

How do they test for weed?  Since we are going to be legalizing it (apparently) next year, this is a big debate now, and how exactly do you test for it when caught driving?