Considering PLEX on Xbox One

Currently, I have all my movies/videos on my Synology DS716+ NAS.  I have been using Firecore Infuse on my Apple TV to stream them, and it works great. My Apple TV is connected via wifi.

I am considering going to Plex, and use my Xbox One (which is wired) for my videos.  Kind of inconvenient sometimes to have to load up apple tv to watch my stuff.

My questions are:  I've read Plex does not support DTS or 5.1 audio.  Is this true?
Is a plex pass subscription required?
Any idea how the performance would be? Most of my files are mkv/h264 and I'm not sure if some, all, or none of the files will need to be transcoding before watching on the xbox one.  Does this take a long time to transcode?  Currently, I can just put a movie on my NAS, load up Infuse, and bam, watching the movie.

Also, if anyone has switched from infuse to plex and care to share experience, would be appreciated.

I'm 99% sure plex supports 5.1 audio as it transcodes DTS on the fly and keeps the channels separate. But no on the DTS.

I have a Sony Android TV setup with plex along with another TV in my house as they have native clients and don't require me having another setup like an intelnuc which I use for my main theatre room setup. And I can't fault it at all. Performance should be perfect I've never en-counted any buffering or failure to open files but my hardware plays x264 and MKV native. x265 transcodes on the fly and looks native with no stuttering but I also have a dedicated i5 server doing this work with all my drives in RAID1 with the house wired in CAT5E...

No you don't require a plex pass at all.

Best bet is just download a copy for free and give it a test run and make sure you enjoy it I've tried countless setups over the years to get to where I am now, I'm not sure where infuse scrapes show and movie information but if its the same as kodi/plex and at thetvdb you shouldn't have to rename any files to get everything showing up how it once was either.

Performance will not be impacted.  We have Plex on an Xbox One, Nexus Player and 2 Samsung Smart TVs and Plex never gave us any problems.  It's by far the most used program in the house.

Only considering it?  Crazy talk.  It's absolutely excellent for me on my One.

I have Plex Pass only because I need more than one user account.  That way my stats aren't screwed around by the missus.  We run it on her 360, our phones, tablets, and computers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read Plex does not support DTS or 5.1 audio.  Is this true?

• Yes it can do 5.1.
  • Currently no the XBone can't to DTS, but plex will transcode it and preserve the 5.1

Does the app support DTS audio?

At present, there is no support for 3rd-party applications to play DTS audio. Content with DTS audio will have the audio automatically transcoded by the Plex Media Server in order to preserve the surround sound audio channels.

We're working with Microsoft to bring DTS playback support in the future.

Is a plex pass subscription required?

• No Plex pass is completly optional, depends if you want it's features or not.

Any idea how the performance would be?

• Performance should be fine unless you have like raw 30GB uncompressed blu-ray rips (then yeh you might have some issues, but normal compressed vid's will be fine.

I'm not sure if some, all, or none of the files will need to be transcoding before watching on the xbox one.  Does this take a long time to transcode? 

• XBone supports MP4 and MKV, but what plex will do is if the device can play the filetype you'll get a direct stream, if it can't it'll transcode on the fly, so no waiting time or anything even if it does have to transcode.

source for DTS info and filetype support: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203824396-What-media-formats-are-supported-